Hook up an extra battery??

Greggs
Unregistered guest
i am running roughly 1000 watts rms through car.. i have a cap and the head lights still dim... when i have music at up to 750 watts rms... it goes from 13.5 down to 11.7.. is my battery that bad or the cap horrid?? should i get another battery?? if i do.. do i have to connect the 2 batteries together or just have the one in the trunk ??

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 777
turn the damn volume down before you destroy the battery (if its not already too late, which it probably should be) and go buy a high output alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5028
There is only one way to fix your problem. Get a HO alternator. Anything else, and it's just a bandaid.
Do you know what "P$mp my Ride" is? It's a car show. In there, some of those morons attach 5000w amp to stock alternator with extra set of batteries. Sometimes they show off their work and lets the users see the caps/voltmeters displaying 11.5v. That is not good for batteries. If it falls below 11v, then depending on the battery type, it can cause permanent damage.
Anyhow, your amp requires lot of current. The only device in your car that produces power is the alternator. Battery stores energy and releases when needed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5029
There is only one way to fix your problem. Get a HO alternator. Anything else, and it's just a bandaid.
Do you know what "P$mp my Ride" is? It's a car show. In there, some of those morons attach 5000w amp to stock alternator with extra set of batteries. Sometimes they show off their work and lets the users see the caps/voltmeters displaying 11.5v. That is not good for batteries. If it falls below 11v, then depending on the battery type, it can cause permanent damage.
Anyhow, your amp requires lot of current. The only device in your car that produces power is the alternator. Battery stores energy and releases when needed.
You should be able to do a search on this topic. It was already covered many times in the past, listing costs involved.

Greggs
Unregistered guest
how much are alternators??? HO a particular kind ??

Gold Member

Post Number: 5030
It'll cost as much as a 2nd battery with isolator and extra power wires.
So basically, they cost the same in the end.

Greggs
Unregistered guest
should i just go to a ford dealer and buy one or car audio shop??

Gold Member

Post Number: 5033
Look for alternator post in this thread. You will find the link as well as the contact for HO alternators.
Ford will charge you for their stock alternator (around 70A) for as much as 170A HO alternator or more. Never go to the car manufacturer for specialty products. That is not their area of expertise. The same thing applies to car audio shop. They don't make alternators.

Sharpshooter1001
Unregistered guest
If you use a 170A HO, Wouldn't you be over charging your system? It doesn't matter what my alternater is , I use to have the same problem. But now I'm running a 1100 WATT RMS system with 2 Crappy tire eleminator batt, with an isolater, 120A alt. And everything seems to be working fine. ROCKFORD BABY!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us