2 Alpine 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer (SWR-1242D) WHAT AMP?!?!

Username: Ken_brown

Post Number: 1
Hi, (any help is good help)
I just bought 2 new Alpine 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer (SWR-1242D) and their 1500 watt peak and 500 rms. i need a 2 channel amp that would power these and would also like to kno what to look for when picking an amp. Do you just match the rms with your subs per each channel? And are cheap amps worth the price difference. If you really kno something about these subs please email me at finelliott@yahoo.com

thanks,
ken

Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 8
You'll want an amp that can do 1 ohm stable. Since you've got 2 4ohm voice coils per sub, you'll wire the voice coils together on each sub in parallel making each sub 2ohms. then when you wire the 2 subs together in parallel, you'll be at 1 ohm. The Alpine MRD-M1005 mono digital amp would be perfect, since it's 1000 watts rms, but that's at 2 ohm and it's not 1 ohm stable. And with 2 4ohm dvc subs, there's no way to wire them for the amp to run at 2 ohms. you could run it at 4, but then it's only putting out 700 watts rms. You'd need the 2 ohm type r subs like I do it'd work. Just make sure you get an amp that will run @ 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1095
Whats ur budget, and u need a mono not 2 channel amp

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 368
Go with a mono amp that is 1 ohm stable.

Avoid the really cheap stuff. If you're on a budget, look at Orion, Kicker, JBL, Memphis, etc. If you're on a really tight budget, you might consider Hifonics. Just avoid the really cheap junk like Sony, Pyramid, Legacy, Power Acoustik, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 250
You dont need a mono amp i mean u could use one if its 1 ohm stable but in my opinion you should just get a 2ch amp and run each sub at 2ohms per channel. And yes just match up the subs rms with the amps rms. So look for an amp that puts out 300-500 watts per channel at 2ohms. And yea stay away from Sony, Pyramid, Legacy, Power Acoustik. I wouldnt use any of those if it was given to me.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 107
You can use either, just what your budget allows, as far as mon, try the directed 1200d or orion 1200D,

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2157
I would run a Mono 1000wrms @ 1ohm amp

Apart from the brands mentioned above u could use
PPI
Crossfire
Diamond Audio
MB Quart RAA1000
Mmats
MTX

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 369
TWIZ,

Why do you suggest a 2-channel amp? The only reason I can think of for using a 2-channel amp in this situation would be for a lower THD at 2 ohms, but that shouldn't even be audible on subs. Class D Mono amps are more efficient and run cooler.

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 252
I dont know i just always run 2 channel amps. I like them better than class d amps. Dont no y thats just my opinion.

Username: Project

Post Number: 6
I have a Crossfire CFA1000D for sale that'll fit your specs. Mono class d amp. 1000 X 1 rms at 1 ohm. Rated at 12.5 volts (at 14.4 volts typically 15% higher). True power amp. 250 plus shipping. email me if you're interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us