Lights dimming in '98 Monte Carlo

Username: Hammer0159

Post Number: 1
I have two 10" infinity subs with 350 rms being powered by a kenwood mono amp putting out 500 rms in a 1998 monte carlo ls. The headlights tend to dim, not horribly, but to a noticeable extent. What would be the first step to fixing this. Also, i was told that having a "system" will reduce gas mileage, can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 64
i dont know about gas mileage, i have a 89 accord and i still get like 30 mpg, i would look into a farad capcitor, that helps, only other options are a bigger battery or altinator, which is a pian in the as

Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 5
Probably the only for sure way to fix it is to upgrade your alternator. Your lights will still dim with a cap.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1063
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2
buy a .5 farad or more cap on ebay....the lights dim when the bass hits hard...a cap holds a huge amount of electricity and when the amp pumps alot of power to the subs on a very deep note..the cap fires power immediatly to parts of the car that need it

Silver Member
Username: Thrushdtd

New York

Post Number: 291
cap might hurt your alternator more.

Username: Hammer0159

Post Number: 3
How would a capacitor make it worse?

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 379
read the link above...a cap is nothing more than a paperweight made to hide light dimming..your lights dont dim anymore after you installed that g@y @$$ capacitor because their less bright now....have you ever though how a cap gets power? from the alternator/car battery...just read that website and dotn speak anymore

to the original poster the only way to stop blinking head lights is to buy a High Output Alternator.

Bronze Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 66
i have a cap on my system, and my lights are dimming alot, i think my battery is going bad too, should i get rid of my cap? i plan on getting a good battery where can i get one and what do they cost?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 584
Terry: Read the link above that Chaunchy posted. Get rid of your cap, buy a high output alternator and possibly get an Optima yellow top if you play with your car turned off as much as you do on.

Bronze Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 68
i went to autozone and bought a battery today. i asked him about an alternator, he asked me if i had a cap and i told him i did but i took it off because of what it said here but he said it wont hurt my alternator and i would be better off with one whan without. he knew alot about capacitors and alot about alternators. im gonna take his word for it. anyways i got home and tested the voltage on my new battery. will everything my system has got (or at least as much as i wanted to push it) the lights only dimmed a little and my voltage just barley went below 13v, deffinatly above 12.5v, and above 14v while still pretty loud so i am not worried about an alternator

o i also added another 4ga ground from the neg terminal on my battery to the chasses,(autozone guy said it would help and i guess it did.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4042
The Autozone guy doesn't know how a cap works, to be blunt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us