Do i need a capacitor?

Username: Philster

Post Number: 1
im pretty sure i do but im new to it.
i have a PYLE PLAD413 2000 Watt 4 Channel High Power MOSFET Amplifier, and will be running it at 4x200W RMS at 4 Ohms on 4 SONY XPLOD XS-V6841H 6x8(1000 watt total), it will be put in a 06 ford f150 with the 5.4 triton v8
if i need a capacitor, what farad would work?

Bronze Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 35
Ive never been Foolish Enough to Waste my money on Pyle so im not familiar with Pyle at all but i dont know about those specs because Pyle is straight up Horrible Quality from what ive heard but im sure a 1.0 farad cap would do the job if u think u need a Cap

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 108
you do NOT need a capacitor it will only make things worse. The only good thing you can do with a capacitor is to wire it to your headlights so they will have power reserve and won't blink, and they'll still probably dim because your alternator can't keep up. If your lights don't dim, don't do anything, if you have problems with everything dimming on hard bass notes, get a new high output alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 483
A capacitor will smooth out the voltage ripple and thats about all.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 215
yeah i'd do what brian is saying. hook everything up first and see.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1047
sell all ur stuff, and start over, first thing get a HO alternator, Pyle's not worth the headache

WC
Unregistered guest
lol i wouldnt buy a capacitor i would worry about getting a fire extinguisher cause that pyle of crap is gonna burn in two months or less.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 227
are you serious or are you just fooling around? cause if your serious, i will guarantee you that your headlights will not dim with the setup you get there. unless you forgot to mention you also have a sub or two and another amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 37
If you want a Capacitor ill sell you a 1.2 farad Cap with Charging bulb for 25 bucks an 10 bucks shipping its about 6 months old but it was never used for more then one week

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4023
You don't need a cap. Period.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1212
I use one for looks, it smooths the voltage spike, and cleans the power up a bit. Lol.

Username: Blainew

Post Number: 4
caps make the lights not dim...and it improves your amp power...but install evrything without the cap..if your lights dim a lot get a .5 farad cap or higher on ebay

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 114
Caps do NOT fix dimming lights, the cap discharges nearly instantly and then it has to recharge, your alternator's still putting out power to the amp, the headlights, and now it has to recharge that cap you put in there. Just don't do it even the big 10 farad caps aren't worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4025
Caps DO NOT:

1. Smooth voltage rails; it's a common misconception
2. provide any extra power for your amp
3 Make your lights not dim

Caps do:

1. Filter the dc current

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 259
glasswolf has said they smooth voltage rails i believe.

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 260
they just don't do what people think they do about providing the "extra" power. Yes, the alternator does need to recharge the cap as well as the system and everything else, but when you have a HO alternator then it does help smooth out the voltage because it will be recharged instantly and it keeps the voltage tighter. Oh, and actually, sometimes it does help headlights not dim, but its not a replacement for a HO alternator by any means.

Post Number: 2
right now i have a pioneer amp 300w, pioneer 6" 220's in the front and pioneer 5x7 220's in the back. and a pioneer head unit, 200 watt.

anything i should keep? if i rebuild?

its the max head unit for the regular digital ones.

Post Number: 3
5.8L(351) V8, w/Std. 95A 95amp , w/Pulley
al that is the alternator thats in it. got it from the car parts website, mines a 5.8 not the 5.0
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us