Power capacitor (still usable?)

Username: Snidehockey

Post Number: 1
I have power capacitor that's not very old, but I don't know if it's operational or not...

It's 1.0 farad, with a digital display of the voltage...and a bright blue LED - all of this attached to a green computer board on top of the capacitor that the terminals go down through.

One of the terminals was really loose so I tightened it and SNAP, I actually broke the terminal bolt. So as I was trying to get the remainder of the terminal unscrewed the board slid a little and then I got that quick smoke and computer frying smell coming off the board. So now the board is fried obviously...and nothing lights up. Will the cap. still operate or is that computer board necessary for it to work? I mean generally does the capacitor need some sort of power regulation or once it reaches its capacity does it stop by itself just because its full? I hope I explained clearly! Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 474
i'm pretty sure you can still use the cap without the LED voltage display. the whole top piece that hald the circuit board should come off, leaving you just the top 2 terminal posts. it will only hold what it can till its full, so don't worry about that. all the circuit board does is provide the circuits to read the voltage and display on the LED board. you can monitor it with a meter to see if its working properly.

also, some caps require a REM lead like an amp to turn it on. if yours did, i'm not sure how or if the board came into play in that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us