Is it possible to make 2 4ohm subs look like 1 ohm?

Anonymous

is it possible to make 2 4ohm subs look like 1 ohm? I am very interested because I can get more power from my amp so please, anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 98
if they are dvc subs yes. if they are svc no.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 101
if they are dual voice coils than parallel connecting them two will give you 1 ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Crusacargen

CA US

Post Number: 20
im sorry those subs are svc each and are 4 ohms a piece. I was just wondering if there is some technology to fool the amp to read the subs at 1 ohm.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 380
you cant 'fool' the amp... ohms refers to the resistance of the path, so you would need to hook up something else that would draw current, to make these equal a 1 ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 465
www.bcae1.com

Please read section 7, 8, 12, and 13.

Eeeeeeeegh what the heck, why not read the whole thing. Sections 1-138. It is good stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3613
i havent read mixneffects suggestion yet but I asked a similar question on this forum when I first became a member here....honestly Id think it could be done

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 466
So you want more power, why not just get an amp that suits your needs?

Remember, OHMs law is a LAW, not just an opinion. These scientific laws stand weather you try to cheat it or not. No matter how you slice it, two 4 ohm loads cannot sum up to 1 ohm.

There have been street guiniess's that tried the resistor trick(ha ha ha ha).

try www.bcae1.com section 59

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3619
i discussed this with my buddy and he said what about a dimmer switch and explained how it works to make the light brighter and dimmer....would that work in any way

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 510
Dimmer switches have resisitors in them. As you roll the dial, more resistence is added to the load, therefore reducing output.

That would not work in this application. Resistors have voltage, wattage, and resistence(%) values. It would take many resistors to add up to the power needed to equal that of the amp. Besides, that would not be the same as a real load.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 430
add two more subs!!!!

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 431
adding resistors WOULD fool the amp, but the power would be dissipated into the resistor instead of the speakers. Basically you would of made a heater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
it wouldnt fool the amp - because it would be the real load. However, a lot of the power gained, is going to be surging to those resistors as well, so I hope it sure can handle some power. otherwise, it's just going to fry. Also, it's not like once it goes to the resistors, there's no power lost, and that current is going to then move on to the speakers. Nope. That power is lost.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 442
If you added a resistor until you had a 1 ohm load then the amp would see a one ohm load, but all of the power gained would then be dissipated as heat from the resistor. There would not be an increase in power to the speaker, but it would fool the amp into seeing a 1 ohm load and putting more power out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
The speakers might see more power, in the case of say some of the regulated amps, that at 2 ohms, put out like 100 watts, but at 1 ohm, put out 1000.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 451
The speakers would not "see more power" because your not changing the resistance of the voice coil therefore it cannot "see more power"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us