Thermo damp sound deadener?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 372
Is this stuff any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Sq-Ft-Thermo-Damp-Plus-Dynamat-Sample-Deadener_W0QQitemZ5 824088230QQcategoryZ67760QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone used it? Does it smell bad? Any pros / cons?

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Bump. This stuff is like $30 for 50 square feet...caught my interest... no ones used it??

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 378
It's a good price for a semi-thick butyl base. The specs they give look good, but no real information on the ASTM tests is available without buying the documents.

Username: Chillyphil

Post Number: 3
i just bought 100 sq ft of the 50 mil and 50 sq feet of the 80 mil. im going to put all of it in my civic coupe. ill let you know when im done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Thanks Phil j g, When are you going to be putting it in, if you know already? Or just somethin you have as a 'to do'?

Post Number: 5
ill be putting it in as soon as it comes in the mail and i have a solid 3-4 days to take the interior out of my car, i also will be installing a 5 ch amp to add to the time it will take

Post Number: 9
I have finished my installation of about 130 sq ft of this in my car. I am saving some for when i get a sub and need to put some in the box or other odd places that need it.

I started by removing all my interior. Everything was taken out of my little civic including the headliner. It took about 6 hours to do, because it was my first time taking out a few of the panels which can be tricky. The only thing I broke was an already brokend sunvisor clip, that now no longer can hold on to the ceiling, but you cant see the hole with sunvisor up. I also broke a plastic plugs that holds the interior together, but they can be replaced easy.

I lined the entire interior of the car and it was painfully hard to do in the cold weather( used heat gun). It took my about 3 days to complete the job. I put the most effort into the door which i lined with a single layer of 80mil on the inner sheet metal and a double layer on the body sheet metal. I also lined the door panels with 50mil. WOW, my doors shut with a great quiet thud. No longer do i hear rattling sheet metal when i close my doors. I lined the floor, ceiling, rear deck back seat, and back side panels with the 50 mil. I lined the trunk entirely with 80 mil also.

On my first test drive of the car I was not able to use my newly installed amp because i crimped one of the speaker wires with a seat belt bolt. that was upsetting. But, because of this I was able to drive around with no music and listen to my car. Keeping in mind it was around 32F, my car ride did sound quieter. WHat I noticed the most, was that I heard different noises easier. I heard a distinctly different set of noises coming from my transmission. It is hard to describe, but because of the lessened road noise, my transmission noise was clearer. It was probably there before but overpowered by other noise.

Once I got my new 5ch amp working again, i was blown away with the power and clarity. Crusing down the highway I was able to crank it and hear the music clearly. What is nice is there is no panel vibration noise whatsoever. Partly due to the weather stripping i installed between panels that previously vibrated from 6x9 powered from my head unit. I really love my stereo now and the 50+ hours i spent on the dampener/amp install really paid off.

Is this stuff better then dynamat? Maybe. I dont know. I have never had any dynamat. My assumption would be that dynamat is better. I paid $170 for 150 sq ft of thermodamp and that is considerable better than the fat roll of bills you will have to drop for 150 sq ft of dynamat. Heck, on ebay 36 sq ft will go for around $100. I am deeply satisfied with thermodamps performance considering the price. I would rahter have dynamat, but dynamat is kind of like designer clothing. I can pay that much for something when the generic is 3 to 4 times cheaper.

What I Installed:
Alpine MRV-450
Kenwood HU
Kenwood Auxilary Input cable
Stinger 4 ch Helix Cable
Stinger 16ga for all speaker wires
SoundQuest 8ga Wiring Kit
Alpine TypeR 6x9
Infinity Reference Components
Optima Yellow Top
Raptor Battery Terminals (not satisfied, low quality)

And of coarse, 130 sq ft of ThermoDamp.

And a little note, my experiense with the seller of thermodamp on ebay was good, but ownership of the company has shifted since I bought my stuff.

Cant wait to get a sub to throw in my truck now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Myword
Unregistered guest
You will get what you pay for! This is not a butyl product. peel and smell test says it is ASPHALT!! Heavy on the asphalt! The gentleman that installed 130 sq ft in his civic in 32 degree weather will no dought have a different opinion if and when he lets his car sit in a 90 degree hot summer day. If he thought it was time consumming to install think about the solution to the problem!!! Oh my goodness!! This product in my opinion belongs in the HVAC business and roofing mobile homes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us