Is It Possible to Plug an amp into the wall socket?

Silver Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 143
I was just wondering, i want to try and play the subs in the house until i get all my new stuff, just thought it would be interesting.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1739
u buy a 12 volt adapter ,get 1 that matches your amperage needs - it works just fine ,i've doing that from young days b4 i got license & a ride ......

j cash
Unregistered guest
Just get a game cube ac adapter it turns it from 120 volts to 12 volts youre gonna have to splice the wires to connect to the amp and head unit just connect the black wire from the head unit to the negative- and then the positive yellow and red on the posotive of the adapter and also the amp power wire and the blue remote wire also but youre gonna have to disconnect the remote wire when youre done listening or else the amp will stay on. And finally the ground just ground it to something metal in yourre house. Thats it simple as that you dont need a 200 dollar adapter the gamecube adapter should cost you no more than 30 bucks.I had my system running like this for 7 months then i finally put it in my new car.

j cash
Unregistered guest
oh no you dont have to connect the remote wire to the positive you connect it to the blue wire in the back of youre head unit lol sorry

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1421
oh dear god no!....dont use a gamecube adapter.

Your just asking for trouble if you do. You will need to by a DC power supply if you want to run a car audio amp in a house.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 738
do you have a source in your house, Ice? And I second not using the puny game cube adaptor. lol

j cash
Unregistered guest
lol puny whats wrong with wiring it like this i had it like this in my house with a 300 watt amp and a jl w3 12". It hit hard and it never shut off never smoked never did nothing.And i used to bump it for like 2 hours at a time. And i think someone else had did the same thing that i did on this forum and they also had no problems.youll be fine if youre running a small amp but if youre trying to connect a big amp then do what Marshall and scuba said.

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 62
I recommend a DC power supply. Just adjust the voltage to 12v and the appropriate current range.

Why a game cube pwr supply? Be carefull of how many amps that power supply puts out! Too little.

j cash
Unregistered guest
lol yeah i know what you guys mean now i just looked at the game cube pwr supply and it was only 3.25 amps lol does That mean is like having a 3.25 amp alternator? And i forgot to add that it was a boss 300max amp so it was more like 100rms lol But i think it hit hard because it was a ported box. I also put fuses on everything.My friend is the one who told me to connect it like that And it worked fined I wonder why nothing blew up.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1425
3.25A x 12V = 39watts

and that is assuming 100% efficiency.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1752
Nippon America sells 12 volts DC adapters cheap & works very well ..........

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 742
for $30, you can buy a 400ish watt pc power supply, that would work a lot better than the game cube adapter, but I still don't recommend using this. Whenever you use stuff outside of its intended use, bad things written in small print on the manual can happen.

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 225
i was using a "2000 WATT PEAK AMP". all i did was cut the cord off my electric razor then grounded it to a carpet nail, lmao........

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1178
Just plug it into the wall man. It'll work (for a second).

Honestly, I'd just go buy a home audio amp if you're that h0rny for some bass in your house...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us