Supplying my amp with power question

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 275
do You think I will notice a bigger difference if I Upgrade from 4 gauge wiring to 0/1 gauge wiring, or if i get a 200 Amp alternator? (my stock alt. is 140) I have an RE 12.1 amp, and an alpine MRV-F340 amp. I have 4G going from the battery to the RE amp.

Basically If i get 0/1 guage wiring, and upgrade my grounds or "the big three" will it be more benifical than leaving things how they are, and getting the HO alternator???

Silver Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 117
I don't think you will notice much of a difference with that amp by upgrading the power wire, 4ga is sufficient. You may see an improvement by upgrading to a HO alternator. The 1/0 cable would allow you to transfer more current with less of a voltage drop but, you have to have the current first (thus the HO alternator). It would be a better upgrade and allow for future expansion too.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 737
do you really have a 12.1 amp or are you just planning on getting one? Not trying to call you out, I just haven't heard from anyone who actually has the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 136
Sorry, I mis read your post. I was only speaking to the MRV-F340. Most of what I said holds though. You really need to do both. You first need to have the necessary current available (HO Alt), then you must ensure it gets to your amps (1/0 cable).

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 279
steve i really have the 12.1 amp lol.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 743
well tell me about it! sh!t!!!! don't leave us all hanging here Mike!

Username: B_gibbs

Farmington, Ar U.s.a

Post Number: 1
i'm installing an amp in my trunk and i was wanting to know the best way to run my power wire.Do i need to drill a hole through the firewall?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us