Grounding an amp and capacitor

Username: Conn007

Post Number: 1
When grounding an amp and a capacitor, does the ground wire from the amp have to mount in a seperate place than the negative ground on the capacitor? Or can I ground the capacitor, than connect the ground wire on the amp to the negative on the capacitor?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 454
I know you can ground the cap and amp at the same point, i guess you could do what you are asking, should be the same

Post Number: 2
yes, it seems logical, I just want to make sure. I dont want the thing to explode or something.

BTW. it is a 1000W capacitor, an I am actually planning to hook up two amps to it (one 500W, one 200W). Is that possible? The guy at the store said it was, and reccomended the cap, but again, I just want to be sure.

Post Number: 3
ok... upon research (which I should of done before), I realized that I should of put my money into a better alternator... So, I don't think I can return the cap, because it came as a set with a wireing kit, and i have already installed it (which required cutting of the wires, probibly making the set unreturnable). Now I can eather sell it to someone, or... What are caps actually good for? After I get a better alternator, is there anything I can keep the cap for?

Post Number: 4
Also, I have a 1993 Chevy C1500 Sport (sidestep) truck, and I am useing a 500watt Bazooka amp running a 10" Pioneer sub, and a 200watt Kenwood amp running 2 mid range truck rider speakers. The lights slightly dim when I turn the music loud and the bass kicks... So what alternator can you reccomend? What is the average price of a decent HO alternator?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 455
for an alternator, look at
www.4alterstart.com
www.excessiveamperage.com
www.ohiogen.com

only 3 i know of unless you have someplace local.
prices will depend on the output.

as for what the cap is used for, not much, but it does smooth the voltage the voltage rail. i don't really know how to explain that though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us