How the heck do I put another battery in for my system?

Chris D_A
Unregistered guest
So I ran into this little problem, I don't have enough power to my system! Everytime I go to turn something on in my car, headlights, turn singal etc...everything stops. I have another battery and I wanna hook it up so it doesn't drain my other battery. How do I do this myself without having to pay some professional to do so?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 336
You need a HO alternator more than likely.

What amps are you running? What size is your stock alternator?

Chris D_A
Unregistered guest
OK I'm running an Audiobahn A1500HCT amp and my alternator is 120 amp.....I'm kinda short on money so I'm trying to find the easiest and nonexpensive way to do this and was wondering if I could just hook another battery up w/o having to buy another alternator or capacitor.

Bronze Member
Username: Moondog1212

New York United States

Post Number: 28
if you dont have a capacitor already you should buy one, this will tell you wether your problem is in your alternator or your battery

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1353
batts help when the car is off, alts when the car is running, and caps help for about 3seconds when you burp in competition (and for AC ripple)...

a HO alt is your best bet. (~200A)

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

We-Be-Swamps, Louisiana

Post Number: 85
Brian, you have 28 post and I think they all say'
"You need to buy a capacitor" !!!

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 337
LOL. Yeah, and how exactly will buying a cap tell him if it's a battery or alternator problem?

A cap might stop the lights from dimming, but that doesn't fix the problem.

Chris D_A
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice ya'll but correct me if I'm wrong...wouldn't just hooking up another battery work? I mean do I really have to buy a HO alternator?? Cuz I have the battery but not the alternator.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 339
When your engine is running, your electrical system (including your stereo) is being powered by your alternator. If the alternator isn't "large" enough, it can't keep up with the current demand from your amp. If it can't keep up, then the extra current needed is pulled from the battery while your alternator is still struggling to supply the current. In this case, your alternator is killing itself and won't last long anyway. You need a HO alternator.

Even if a 2nd battery did help, you'd still be losing output from your amp unless it has a regulated power supply and I don't think yours does. A HO alternator can supply 14+ volts to your amp, while a battery can only supply 12.5 volts. There's a pretty big wattage difference in the output from your amp if it's only getting 12.5 volts unless it does have a regulated power supply.

Anyway, you need a HO alternator.

Bronze Member
Username: Jake110011

Jackson, Michigan

Post Number: 41
TO HOOK UP ANOTHER BATTERY - Cut your power wire leading from your battery, to your amp. Wherever you cut the power wire, is where the battery will go. Now Hook up the power wire from your battery under the hood, to the new battery (so you have two battery's in a line - a battery under the hood and your power wire leading to new battery near the amp) then from the battery near your amp hook up the remaining power wire you cut and take that directly to the amp. Then ground the battery with a ground 18" or less. Preferably a optima yellowtop

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 340
Are you recommending another battery instead of a HO alternator?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us