Adding extra lights, please someone help!

Username: Dodge_shadow

Post Number: 3
I just put a song xplod 2000? in my car and well its way slimmer then the stock radio was so i have decided that ill put a plexy glass cover to fill in the gap and it is tinted, I want (two lights' which i allready have) so there is light shining through the plexy, i dont know what wire to draw my energy from and im not using switches! i would like to have the lights turn on as i turn my dash lights on!! someone help me, im stuck!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 99
in your factory harness, there is a orange wire. that is your illumination wire. use a digital multimeter, turn it to dc voltage (20), and find a good ground, then connect the black one into the ground, and then put the red one on the orange wire, then cut your dash lights on and it should get voltage. use that for the +12v for the lights, and use a ground, preferably a seperate one(just run a new wire somewhere) and they should cut on when your dash lights cut on.
and you shoulda bought a dash kit somewhere for your head unit lol

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 100
your wire harness that plugs into your factory plug***

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 680
don't mean to $hit on your dreams but that sounds like a very bad idea man. Lights that shine in your face while you're driving are never a safe idea. Plus, it'll be really annoying. If you're hell bent on doing it, here's what I'd do. Run a 10 awg wire from the battery, and send it to a relay inside the car. Now take the power wire from your radio, the one thats only on when the car is turned on, and also send that to the relay with maybe a 1A fuse on it. Now take the powered output from your relay and split it. Send one wire to the radio and the other to the lights. You will need other grounds and fuses and stuff but thats all common sense really.

You really should find something else to do with that space. Dash space is prime real estate, and if I had more space, i'd put all kinds of meters and sound processing equiptment in there.

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 103
yeah me too lol. i wish i had more space on my dash =(
but like he said he only wanted it on when the lights were on not the radio.
and yes it is a bad idea, but whatever floats your boat lol

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 688
oh, when his lights are on, yea, you'll have to tap into switch for the lights or the illumination wire as I am now reading in your post, nocc1n.

Username: Dodge_shadow

Post Number: 6
yea well now for some reason my dsh lights arent coming on with the headlight switch sooo if i do decide to do these lights ill have to use the switches on them to turn on my dash lights, (driving with lights in your face is worse then driving in pitch black) but anyways i am going to put sheilds over the lights they wont be bright at all! and plus i dont want to get a ll tricked out with EQ's and stuff, i just want it simple ;) but thanks for the suggestions, i might even put some sort of mirror behind the plexy glass, i dont reaelly know yet
IT's not even on the road so i have time but it's getting cold and i dont have a garage so the hands are getting cold!!

Silver Member

College Park, MD

Post Number: 704
just put them on a switch if you're gonna go through with it. That way you can turn it on and off as you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us