I need to get this all cleared up about AMPs

Pat L
Unregistered guest
I keep reading that you cant wire 2 or more amps together and that you should go to one big one insted. I dont understand why you cant just run 2 or more of each cable to each AMP. I dont see why its not possible with the same brand, same wattage all in the same car. I mean how to the compitition people do it when they need to run 10 or more subs. They just dont make one big 10000 watt amp. It has to be done. Please give me your imput on your reason why it is or isnt possible! Because i need to do it.
Thanks

iamduff
Unregistered guest
yea i would like to know if i could hook up 2 amps in my car also. thanks

Username: Vipersbyms

Post Number: 3
well if u want to link 2 amps together to power one sub or 4 amps for 2 subs etc., you can do this if the amp has a special connection link u can buy for it that allows it too hook up to another amp of the same kind. i know the kicker kx 1200.1 and the rockford fosgate 1001bd has it so u can link two amps together...if ur just tryin 2 use 2 amps u just run a power and ground wire to a distribution block and then run the wire to the 2 amps...depending on the size of the amps you will probably need to run 0 gauge wire for ground a nd power wire then 4 gauge to the amps

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1942
you can run multiple amplifiers.
you can NOT run multiple amplifiers to teh same speaker, under most conditions.

If you do, you either need class D amps that support amp-strapping (daisy chaining two of the same amp to double output) which only a few support, or you need a sub with multiple voice coils, one amp per coil, and all amp outputs need to be precisely balanced using a scope.

Now if you just want to run one amp per subwoofer, that's easy, and very common.
you use an electronic crossover, proper power distribution with an adequate charging system, and jumper interconnects to carry the signal from the first amp to the second.. *good sub amps have RCA outputs too, for linking amps together for the signal lines only)

Pat L
Unregistered guest
That really clears it up. When i run the two AMPs i am only planning on having each AMP run only 2 subs. So 2 AMPS, 4 Subs, 1 AMP per 2 subs. I am going to use a crossover. I hope this clears up a lot for everybody else too- you can run multi AMPS just as long as they dont all go to the same sub!
Thanks Pros

ILLiterit Mexican
Unregistered guest
AHHA........but there is more.......theoreticly you can "series or strap" any two similar amps. Its actually not all that complicated. First, you have to invert the phase of the input to one of the amps (which must me done with an external device). Then connect the negatives from each amp together and use both positives from the amps to power the speaker. One of the positives is now out of phase which makes it the new negative. This can only be done on a single 2 channel amp or 2 mono blocks. You cant "strap" 2 stereo amps together. This is effectively what happens when you bridge any 2 channel amp into mono. The phase of one of the channels is all ready inverted, they just label the + and - backward on that channel (think about it).

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2005
which I pretty much already mentioned above about amplifier strapping.
some mono amps support this internally.
with a multi-channel amp it's simply called bridging.
This also affects the load presented to the amplifier(s) so be sure you know what you're doing before trying this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
glasswolf is correct, you can "strap" two amps together, you idiot. its an option that some amps do have that enables it to connect to amps that are the sa,e together with a cord u can buy. like i said before i know the kx1200.1 and the rockford fosgate 1001bd have this option.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
sorry, i misread what u said before, my apologies :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us