Will I need an HO alternator?

HOalternator?
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm very new to car audio but I'm about to get 2 12 alpine r's powered by a Crossfire VR1000D (1000 watts but I hear it's underrated) and a pair of infinity kappa's powered by an alpine MRP-T220 (about 140 more watts I think). My question is will I need to get a HO alternator, if my current one is putting out 14.1-14.7 volts?

Ntoxicaytd
Unregistered guest
I'd recommend a cap instead about 1 farad for everyone 1000 watts rms. Then again if it runs without any dimming of the headlights or dash lights you may be good to go anyways

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2338
a capacitor may just mask the symptoms of a lacking charging system, thus making it worse in the long run.

if your amps pull more current than your charging system can supply, then you will overdraw your charging system, and eventually kill your battery and burn out your alternator.

if your charging system doesn't have enough power to sufficently supply the amps, then it won't have enough power to supply the capacitor so that it can sufficently do its job.:-)

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2339
what kind of car do you have?

or maybe i should just ask how big is your stock alternator?

HOalternator?
Unregistered guest
nissan 200sx not sure how big the stock alternator is though

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2354
go look. it should be right on top of the alternator. if you can see your alternator.
on some vehicles it is pretty well hidden. lol

the 200sx is like the sentra correct?
so that would be like a civic, lancer, corolla, etc...i doubt it is very big.

HOalternator?
Unregistered guest
yeah the alternator was pretty well hidden and i couldn't find a size on it

Bronze Member
Username: Mattc6465

Post Number: 30
should i get a new alt. for my 2003 durango. i will be using a JBL 1000 watt amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us