Inline fuse

DUB
Unregistered guest
You know how they say that the fuse by your battery should be higher then the amount on your amp, my amp has a total of 80 (40x2), I was thinking of getting a 150 amp inline fuse, if I did would there be more current amp draw or would there be anything going on with a bigger inline fuse?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1281
what power wire do you have?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1282
what size*

DUB
Unregistered guest
4 gauge

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1285
a 150a fuse is fine for 4ga.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 416
you dont need anything larger than what your amp can handle. If your amp has 80A worth of fuses than your inline fuse should be between 80-100A. Your amp cant draw more than 80A, so theres no need for a bigger inline fuse. A bigger fuse doesnt mean that It WILL draw more current, it just means that it will allow it to draw more current.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2305
i have a 250A ANL fuse, and my amps only pull about 135-140 amps of current.

is that bad? lol

i have that big of a fuse b/c i figured out the MAX current draw from my amps at full RMS power.
i have 4ga going from my battery to my D-Block.
so i'm cool right?

Anonymous

The fuse in the power wire is there to protect the vehicle, not the amp. When selecting a fuse for that cable, take into consideration the size of the cable, the most current the cable can handle and how much of a draw the system will induce. As long as the fuse is rated to flow more current than the system will ever draw and less current than a dead short will draw then you are fine

Username: Moondog1212

New York United States

Post Number: 7
you dont need a fuse that big, i have like a 60 amp fuse on my 4 gauge wire. good way to melt wires.

New York United States

Post Number: 8
you dont really need a fuse that big. you should try to get closer to what you are pulling.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2313
you have a 60 amp fuse?

how many watts is your system?

mine is around 1200 watts RMS.

New York United States

Post Number: 10
ok, that changes things, it might be a little bigger but not much, and mines around 1000 rms.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2314
i just got off the phone with a guy from my audioshop, and i will be upgrading the power wire to the D-Block to 1/0ga from 4ga.:-)

he said however many amps your Alterntor produces(in my case 220A) then that is roughly how big your fuse to the amps should be.

Bronze Member

New York United States

Post Number: 11
sorry i forgot, right now i have a 100amp inline, but i had a 60amp on it for a while.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2315
i used to have a 60amp inline when i had just my 4chan 400 watt amp running my whole system.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1290
Muddy...

have you upgraded you big-3? if not, your prolly not getting your 220A alts power to the amps/batt.

i just recently upgraded my stock 6ga big-3 to 1/0 and gained ~.75-1V at the amps! (little or no voltage drop on burps...maybe ~13.25V at the lowest)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4713
Marshall, you might also want to have a look at your ground connection. If they're not solidly connected, it will limit the amount of current flowing.
You might even gain a little more power if you run a 0 gauge from the battery to the ground location (almost by-passing the chassis).

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1292
Every thing in my system is 1/0...i get a solid 14.5-6V w/ amps running...drops to ~13.25-13.75 if i hammer on it w/ an all out burp. (at idle)

but i am tempted to run a 1/0 ground from the batt to the amp pretty soon.

by the way...i have a stock batt...lol

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4715
I have deepcycle battery in my trunk. Last weekend, I converted everything over to that battery. Now my stock does nothing but start the car.
So far, car starts every morning very smoothly, in one try. Before, depending on the weather, it had a little pause.
If you want to test your car's ground, do this test.
Put in 80A fuse near the battery and bast your stereo. If it doesn't blow, then that's all the current the chassis is able to conduct.
Ever since I by-passed my chassis, the bass is stronger and deeper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us