15.2 volts too high? help please

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 197
Hi guys,
I just upgraded my "big 3" in preparation for my excessive amperage 180 amp alt. and my voltage went up at idle from 14.3-14.6 to 15.2 volts! my voltmeter in my car has a range from 9 on the low side to 19 on the "danger" high side. So as long as its within these limits its ok right? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4708
Just where are you getting the reading from? At the battery level, you might get around 15v, but once a load is applied, it'll drop to 14.4v or lower.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Winnetka, California USA

Post Number: 198
I am using the knu konceptz amp distribution block w/led readout. I am using 1/0 for my big "3" and 1/0 from batt to dist. block where it splits to dual 4 awg outputs. With stock wiring my readout with car off is about 12 volts and at idle was about 14.3 to 14.6. Its still about 12 volts with car off and about 15 volts at idle.

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 31
That "meter" and most others do not give a true reading. Find a TRUE RMS volt meter and I think you'll find the reading to be more accurate and in-line with what it should be.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4735
That doesn't make much sense cause the voltage in the car is DC, not AC. RMS calculations apply to AC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Your are correct, but a meter capable of A True RMS AC reading will be much more accurate and will provide an accurate DC reading as well. The "meters" placed on distribution blocks & caps are nothing more that decoration really.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1061
Need4Bass: an AC meter won't read DC voltage man... AC current is a full sine wave, and DC is (in an ideal situation) completely flat. Normally you'll have small ripples on the top half of the wave, but the bottom will be flat. Hence, the reason for an AC and DC "selector" on your DMM.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Geeez, split hairs. Find me a DMM that dosen't read both AC & DC!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us