Enough Power

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 198
Whats the lowest i could go below the rms on my sub w/ out doing any damage, sub is ALUM12Q 1000RMS(some ppl say 1100rms) dvc 6ohm, could i run an amp that runs a 600rms@3 ohms?
looking @ HIFONICS BX1205D or something alittle bigger if i need to...

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 200
someone please, jsut really need to know how much i can go below the rms on the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 271
No because when sub wants more power youd end up having the amp clipp and if severe enough you would damanage both amp and sub.

Go with somthing around 800 to be shore but 600 from 1000 isnt all that bad at one point i was running a legacy 600watt 2 channel amp to 2 of my 500RMS subs didnt have a problem.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 201
so ure saying that running a 600rms amp would be fine?

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 202
iwould like to get another opinion on this jsut to be sure...what does anyone else think about it...?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4006
as long as your amps input voltage matches up with your headunits output voltage you will have no clipping. You could safely run that sub on 10 watts of power if it were all matched up. Any amp will work with any amount of power it just has to be tuned properly. The more power you have the louder it gets.(3db everytime you double the power) the difference between 600 watts and 900 watts is gonna be hardly noticable. As long as you hook it up properly you will have no problems with 500 watts on a 1000 watt rms sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Halter

Ohio

Post Number: 17
Hey killer...u got the alum12Q...I was thinking about getting them Q or N...there about the same aren't they..I was wondering if there a pretty good sub....and the audiobahn A8000T dont run them good or what?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 415
No because when sub wants more power youd end up having the amp clipp and if severe enough you would damanage both amp and sub.

Completely untrue.

Listen to James.

Car Audio,

www.bcae1.com
www.the12volt.com

READ THESE BEFORE YOU TELL PEOPLE THE WRONG INFORMATION.

Bronze Member
Username: Secretsoundz

St. Paul, Mn USA

Post Number: 37
Mike D tell us youself if youre gonna correct him, I hate searching thru those huge pages.

A clipped signal will create a little more motor heat than a proper sine wave because it can't cool down as well. But yeah its unrealistic to blow a sub with a clipping 75 watt signal.

When the cone can't rebound from the wave smoothly (PROLONGED TIMESPAN)the sub "technically" and very "technically" is being abused...maybe even a premature blown speaker..

I mean if I heard a clipped speaker I'd say
"uhh that can't be good."

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 203
thanx alot for helpin out guys, i think im gunna go w/ Hifinoics prob a BX1605d/BX1205D...not to sure yet are they any good? and to halter i havnt tried the sub out yet but my buddy had 2 of them running at 800rms each @2 ohms(oldschool rockford) and he sold one of them to my other buddy who know has 3 of them in his monte carlo ss, running @ 1000rms@.5 ohms(same amp) and my buddy doesnt have a use for one sub w/ no amp so hes selling it to me for cheap w/ new panasonic 6.9's... n as for the amp never owned one, but from what i have heard on here, there pretty shitty....

Bronze Member
Username: Halter

Ohio

Post Number: 20
ok so I am not ging to get that amp....but the subs are still good...!!

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 204
any one know if the hifonics amps im lookin @ are any good, not looking for top of line, jsut dont want garbage, buying off ebay...

Anonymous

hey, they would do the job but i think if u want to spend cheap and power ur subs there is a boss audio amp that is 1400 watt or something like that, well that would be the best way to go and they only go for like 200 or so dollars so that would be the best thing to do.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10730
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/speakerpwr.html
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

all the answers are therein.

Username: Moondog1212

New York United States

Post Number: 6
its better to over power a sub than underpower it, less chance of blowing it.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 205
man that completely wrong you will blow a sub if u have too much power for a continuous period, maybe you jsut mixed up ur sentence but it is definitaley not better to over power your sub...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us