Finally met my goal! 150 dB on the termlab, windows up!

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 284
Finally happened.

When I started reading these boards, I shortly afterwards made a goal for myself that I wanted a car that hit a 'true' 150 dB, not port wars, not outlaw, but an actual 150 dB.

The one thing I learned, more than anything else? DAMN it cost a lot more than I originally figured it would!! I'm sure a lot of people have hit it a lot easier, but this is in a 1999 Pontiac Firebird...not exactly a whole bunch of room to work with, heh heh.

But just wanted to thank three people in particular, them being Jonathan, Glasswolf, and Isaac. I think between the three of you, you've put in a couple 40 hour work weeks responding to just my posts with numerous questions on how to do every little detail about every little thing in my car... From sound-deadening, to wiring, to amps, to sub directions etc.. And wanted to let you guys know I really am greatful.

The final change I made, actually, was removing the capacitors from my system..it sounds a lot better now IMO...batteries recharge faster..all in all, I think I prefer w/o the capacitors.. (I had 21.2 farads)

Thanks again you guys. (Btw - my TermLab was 150.8 at 46hZ)

Seth

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4635
Congratulations! Good job.

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 191
nice job
what are you workin it =)

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 359
good stuff, what were you running.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3096
Were you using the 13W7, and how do you like that PG amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Yeah...I'm using the W7 in a slot ported box, along with six 12's in bp boxes. (HiFonics 1605 brutus on the six 12's, and a 1200.1 xenon phoenix gold on the W7). LoL.. I remember thinking how easy it was going to be to hit 150, after I got a 136 almost immediately... lol!! It was uhmm... definately not as easy (or nearly as cheap) as I originally planned. :-)

I'll get some pics of my setup in a few and post them here.

Seth

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10698
kudos

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1039
Yea bro, kudos.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 252
Thats good i think i could hit close to there how much rms you pushing? I got a nice 1000 going give or take a 120 or so id love to test it but first i gota dynamat it b4 my trunk door breaks.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10703
Your Car (Year, Make, Model): Civic 05
Your Car Audio System: 2 Lanzar 124D's 500RMS 1000Watt Peak

1 Lanzar 248 500RMS / CHan (2chan amp)

2 Infinity 6002I's

actually CarAudio, you'd more likely be in the 130s with that setup.
not anywhere close to 150.
that 20dB difference is equal to 100 times the power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
150 dB is pretty crazy, too.. (in regards to termlab score). I always laughed at the guys who said you wouldnt want a 150 dB daily driver, figuring I'd be rollin around bumpin my system at 150 dB.. Ugh. While I can stand it...It does leave my ears ringing.. and makes other people who arent used to it want to throw up, or leaves them gasping for air, with their eyes watering.. I just prefer not to go deaf, so I'd guess normal listening level is around 130-135ish for me... Really dont want to be older and regret being stupid when I was young.. (I'm 24)

Here are a couple of pics I took a couple nights ago..

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Upload
(similar to one before but not the same pic if you look closely)

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Upload
Before E-Dead

Upload
After e-dead

Upload
During Edead

Upload
My car originally before I started painting it etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Upload
Upload
Upload
Self explanitory. :-P

Upload
Repairing a hit and run.. (tore a 30+ inch gash clean through my door...could see the inside from the outside... ugly stuff, shredded the fiberglass)..

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
And here's how the repair turned out..
Upload

heh...have done everything on the car myself.. from the paint, to the wiring, to the customized dash/door/interior panels, to putting in my alternator and a flowmaster.. First real car I've done anything more than put gas in, lol.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 254
Glass i really do think it would push about 140 even that is really good for what a 400 doller system which is retailed at about what mmm 650.

I went for buget and i get what buget offers.

NO need to boost my self which im not so its all good hey id love to find out one day tho. Oh and ya my systems done now no need to touch on that unless i link up my 15" 1500RMS watt 3000max visonoik WHICH I GOT FOR FREE only used for a week so ill see how it goes peace!

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10717
either way.. 130s is still damned loud.. 140 is extremely good

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4913
Seth, I hope you don't normally listen at 130s. That'll destroy your hearing very quickly. Prolonged exposure above 90db can cause hearing loss.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 255
wooow ima make shore my vol when im in the car dont go over 25/40

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4914
Congrats on 150, BTW.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 141
Congrats man!! and people always wonder why i don't turn my stereo up any more....i had the slot vented boxes and the high powered amps with the little chepo subs (cheaper to replace) blasted tones out for spl scores!! now i run a single W7 on a thousand watts of clean power and it's usually almost off!! it's all about quality man!! and being able to hear when you 60!!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3862
Yeah, 150 db with just a 1605 brutus and a 1200.1 phoenix, that's really good. 150 is great no matter what. I'm with Jon though, make sure you guys don't crank it even if it is to impress other people. I learned the hard way when it comes to hearing loss.

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
Some of the newer people to car audio seem to think that 150 dB is like.. a cake walk, heh.. I remember, when I first started reading these boards (when I got my first bazooka tube back in late 2003) I thought it'd be simple..then when I got my first set of 12's, lol, figured I was hittin around 140's...kinda like CarAudio.. Was in a 2000 Dodge Durango.. (pair of audiobums in a bp box being pushed by 800 watts rms).. heh heh... And never really fathomed how loud 150 dB really was...seemed so easy, and everyone was hitting 150 dB with no problems at all.. Then I actually heard 150 dB.. Ouch is all I gotta say, heh heh.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4639
I think above 115db, it takes about a minute before you do permanent damage to your ear drums. I could be off by a minute or 2, but you can see, it doesn't take long. The cells on your ear drum, once damaged, can not be fixed/healed.
This is why I'm sticking to SQ. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 143
and if i do jam my stereo....i got a wireless remote so i can do it outside of the vehicle!! ;)

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1041
I don't know how true this is, but I heard of a guy getting a "new ear". Maybe just me... Also something about how it's more sensitive and stronger than a "stock ear". Always thought that'd be cool as sh1t...

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 256
WTF^

Bronze Member
Username: Need4bass

Post Number: 56
Huh? Speak up sonny....

Silver Member