Installing 2 amps

Username: Accordv6

Post Number: 4
Hi,

I'm new to this. Do i need 2 remote wires from the headunit to both amps? Do i need to purchase a ground distribution block? How many feet of wires for power and ground do you recommend for the second amp? Also i'm installing a sub with one of the amps. I'm bridging a 2ch to power the sub. IS there a special adapter to plug in the sub?

Henry

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 170
its pretty simple
all you need is 1 remote wire going from your head unit to your trunk, when the wire gets close to your 2 amps just splice it into 2 and connect them to the amps.
you dont need a distribution block although its cleaner and easier, you get a larger power wire from your battery to you trunk again when it gets close to the amps just put the distribution block on and from that choose the appropriate wire size to your amps.
for ground you dont make the wire longer than a couple of feet, and just use the right size wires for each amp dont use a distribution block.
if your bridging an amp u dont need any special peice just the right size wire from the amp to the subwoofer.
also if your amplifier has a rca output you could get a small rca cable and plug it in from the main amps output to the secondary amps input rca ports. just saves space paneling but if your head unit has a subwoofer rca outputs i would use that for the amp that powers the subwoofer, just a cleaner signal for your subs

Post Number: 6
As for a distribution block is one 4awg input and two 4awg output enough for the 2 amps? You think 3ft of power and ground enough for the secondary amp? Now i do understand how this works. Thanks...

Henry

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 171
each amp should have its own ground wire 3 feet or less
the main power wire should be 2awg if your going to be using 4awg for your 2 amps
like this if your not sure
===2awg==(block)<====4awg===amp
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <====4awg===amp

Post Number: 7
well at the moment i have 4awg from the battery to the first amp. 2 of my amps are not very high power, its under 500w. Then i was thinking getting two 3ft power and ground for the second amp. I get the picture. Thanks...

Henry

Post Number: 8
so can i use only 4awg for the whole setup?

Bronze Member
Username: Clethal70

Post Number: 27
Hi

Im hooking up another amp to my system. Right now i have the (IVA-D300 Alpine) dvd, (M-350 Alpine) mono amp running on a 8gauge power wire powering 3 10' JBL trio sub box. I'm getting the (Alpine MRP-F240) to power 1pair of (Alpine SPS-170A)for the rear and will get another pair later in time. My question is should I replace the 8 gauge power wire from the battery with a 4 gauge and if so could I buy 4 gauge wire at a hardware store to save money? Do I need a fuse running off the new 4gauge if i decide to buy? I'm planning on using a distribution block that holds fuses will this work or do I need the fuse on the 4gauge? I should recieve my new amp and speakers next tuesday so i want to go out and get stuff i need and trying to save money in the long run.

Chris

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 175
yea as long as you dont both amps dont want more current that the main power cable can feed
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us