Fan in amp

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 114
ive been looking for a good 1200 watt amp to run my 2 SE's and i liked the 12.1 until someone said something about it not having a fan in it. i dont know too much about amps and what causes them to overheat, but whats the effect of not having a fan, if its bad, should i just stick with a kicker kx1200.1 instead of the RE?

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 267
The fan issue really isnt a big deal. All amps have heat sinks on the power supplies and other necessary componets to dissipate heat. Also the RE 12.1 has thermal protection so if it did get to hot it would shut itself down to protect itself.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 115
exactly..i mean this is going to be in an everyday car that i drive about 50-80 miles every day and i dont want my amp shutting off constantly

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 117
my bad not 50-80 i ment like 25-40

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
it wont be a problem if your input sensitivity (gain) is set correctly and your not driving your amp into clipping. If you run any amp, especially higher quality amps, under normal operating conditions you wont have any problems. These units are designed to combat thermal engergy.

Now, if you live like on the equator ( You dont, you live in VA) than it might get super hot in your trunk. As long as you keep it ventilated than you shouldnt have any problems.

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 147
MY amp gets really hot to its just the gains you cant push it too hard and try avoiding to use your head unit to try push the amp harder i gota fiddle with the settings a bit more.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 118
well the SEs are 600WRMs a piece and the amps 1200WRMS x 1 ohm so i wont be pushing it hard right? i have a pioneer premier deph770MP which has 4 volt preouts and i hardly ever turn my music really loud i normally keep it moderate but sometimes when im just hanging out or in the mood to kick it, but i dont push my system very hard.. so i should be straight with the 12.1 right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Your setup sounds fine and that doesnt mean your pushing it hard or not. If the gain isnt set properly and/or you crank the volume (well into distrortion) than that is pushing your system beyond its limits. Doesnt sound like your the "type of guy to do this"

You have plenty of power and good equipment so you should have no need to blast it in order for it to get loud.

So yes you will be straight with the 12.1

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 121
alright well im new to using amps this is my first system and all, im going to have friends who im pretty sure know what their doing help me with all this but its nice to know myself, what exactly does gain do, and how do you set it? is it just like the amount of power and how hard you want your amp to push the subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us