Relay to turn on AMPS? Glass, Jake, Muddy?

Bronze Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 12
Okay, Im trying to get rid of the normal "Boom" when the you turn off the car.

So I thought about hooking a relay to my remote wire to the amps.

I just found 1 laying around in the trunk I had not used. If i wire a bosch relay (radio shack) up to turn on my amplifiers will this stop that? What if any advantages could I gain from doing it anyway? Or would it even help. I know they sell products to stop this, but how can I make my own?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10664
www.the12volt.com has diagrams for relay use for turning on multiple amplifiers, as well as a delay circuit I believe.
It's easier to see the diagram there than it is for me to tell ya which pins on a relay go where.
pictures are worth, well, you know the addage.

Bronze Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 16
I know how to hook the relay no problem. I just wanted to know will it help the situation. I will check out the web page. You said it is a delay circuit?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 986
I used a switch on the remote wire. That way I can turn the amp on and off. A lot of HU can turn the pre-outs on and off, but don't actually shut off the amp. I just like the peice of mind :P.

A relay might work, depending on how "slow" it is to complete the curcuit. And a delay circuit will wait for the desired time to pass the current through.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10681
just wire in a simple timer IC. then you can set the delay period yourself on the trigger pin of the relay.

Bronze Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 17
Ok, Thanks for all the help.
Now I got to do some Digital. "ICs"
My first shot will be to try the relay.
IF not I will go pickup some ICs. The thing with that is that I will need to get a small bread board.

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1004
10-4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us