Soundstream or JBL?? both last years models

Bronze Member
Username: Aooo

Post Number: 66
The Soundstream is 4x80 Wrms
The JBL is 4x60 Wrms
Is it true that Soundstream amps are some of the best?
Am I an Idiot picking the JBL over the Soundstream?

Bronze Member
Username: Dropp

Ocala, Florida US

Post Number: 14
They are both great ,But what models are you speaking of?If I were to choos on a whim. Go SoundStream.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1172
jbl is solid, but power hungry.
soundstream used to be of the very best. 6.0 and 10.0. now they have been bought out by power acoustic. try the american made vga line. the only line from last year i would call great.
otherwise, i would personally go with jbl.
besides that though

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 303
Soundstream manufactured great amps and subs back in the day. From what I've read recently, they are now part of Power Acoustik, like Mike said. If it's coming from PA, I wouldn't even consider it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Thanks guys, these are the amps:
Soundstream:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/discave/egsost4chcar1.html
JBL-(pdf)-you have to copy & paste the whole address.
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/CS%20Amp%20OM%20(rev%203-25-04).pdf
It would be great to get your opinions
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
jbl. without question, imo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
the thing is that the jbl is rated 67wrms @ 4Oms with a 1%Thd and is measured at 14.4Volts... I guess in reality it is 50wrms as for the model name 50.4
The soundstream is 80wrms @ 4Ohms with 0.05 Thd
and in measured at 13.8 Volts
Still jbl??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Please guys I'm going crazy
I ordered my speakers today (Rainbow components and 10" sub)
I have the jbl amp (new) and I can exchange it for the Soundstream (new). I do need the extra power but will I be getting it from that Soudstream??
Please check out the links above. any additional input will be highly appreciated

Gold Member

Post Number: 1202
IF you need the extra power, and those are your only two options, then yes, go with the sound stream.
call sound stream and ask for earny. ask him if those ratings are accurate. 323-724-4600

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2184
REPPIN OCALA!!! lol

i would choose the JBL.:-)
i'm not that familiar with SS and i haven't seen people have many problems with JBL in the past.

Bronze Member
Username: Dropp

Ocala, Florida US

Post Number: 18
Where the h*%& is Ocala?LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
i spoke with karl cummings today (ss chief engineer). he says that 75% of the new amps are stable at 2ohms bridged or 1 ohm stereo. a HUGE deal. he says that it was just a company call to keep the "crazies' from misusing the amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Some of you say that Soundstream amps are just crap and others say they are great?????
lol
Both are around for a long time, just want to know if I can trust ss with their ratings? and build quality?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 313
If it's true that Power Acoustik bought out Soundstream, then I would not trust their ratings.

I'm still not sure if it's legit, but that's been posted here and at other audio forums several times. I had figured it was true until one of the prominent members here recommended SS recently. I'd do some research and find out if they are now owned by PA. I know for sure they made great amps 10 years ago, but I don't know about their current line.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1246
the VGA line was the last to actually be constructed in america (discontinued). they are underrated by about 20-30 watts/ch. very solid amps. i stopped trusting anything afer that, because they were bought out by PA overseas.
that's not to say they are garbage by any means. most all amps are built in asia now (to some degree), and many do fairly well. it's a matter of standard. when you are known and considered by many to be among the 5 best ever constructed amps, it's a realtively large drop down to "decent". the same work and parts aren't put into these amps that once made them great, because that also made them expensive to build/purchase. and who is purchasing expensive amps nowadays? they yield more profits this way.
my personal rule of thumb is service manuals. if these aren't detailed, then chances are the product is considerably more concerned with quantity than quality. soundstream, audiobahn..etc. i'm sure they're plenty of them out there today. that doesn't make them overated (rms) or particularly cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
it's just a matter of your standards in equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us