Wire and Earth advice required

Username: Pyromaniac

Dorchester, Dorset UK

Post Number: 1
I have a JBL GTO 2000 400W 2/1 amp, and a Kenwood KAC - 8151D 1000W amp.

I have plans to wire these in using 4AWG power wire from the battery, with a 60A inline fuse at the battery, going to a splitter/power block to feed off 2 power wires, one for each amplifier.

What gauge wire should I be using to feed the power to the amps from the splitter block?

Also - the Earth wire is also planned to be 4AWG, I have been told 2 conflicting things regarding this Earth wire, one person says I should use an inline fuse here also, and another says no way should I use a fuse on the Earth wire.

Which is correct and why?

Thanks for any assistance.

ps: Anyone know where there is an online manual for the Kenwood KAC-8151D? Kenwoods site does not list it anywhere, and I bought it as a 2nd hand unit with no manual.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1845
ground should be a solid cable of equal gauge and as short as you can keep it to avoid noise.
as for size, whatever the amps accept. 8AWG or 4 should be fine.

Dorchester, Dorset UK

Post Number: 2
Thanks Glasswolf, 8AWG will be easier to fit to the terminals on the amplifiers.
Does it need a fuse in the Earth run at all?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1850
nope. you can get a distribution block that's got fuse holders built into it already for each amp on the positive lines.
that's all ya need.
you want the ground to be solid from amp to chassis.

Dorchester, Dorset UK

Post Number: 3
Great, thanks for that.

Username: Jake4720

Adelaide, South australia Australia

Post Number: 1
i need to no what the little black wire is on my RCA leads

Anonymous

That is a remote trigger wire. hooks up to the remote terminal on the amplifier and other end connects to the blue remote wire coming from the head unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us