Question about Customizing inputs?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 251
Ok, here's the story of a man named brady..

No for real, heh heh. I was wondering about custom-making the inputs for my amplifier... But I wanted to know..

I wanted to use 8 gauge speaker wire, however, my amp only accepts up to I think 12 gauge for speaker wire.. It's a mono amp, and has two inputs...

Also, my amp is in a spot where there's not too much extra room, and the connection might be stressed a little on occassion.. (Dont forsee this happening, but I like to make 100% sure none of my connections will come lose, come hell or high water) So I want to solder the original connection, and use a distribution block (with the connection going to the amp soldered, as well). Would there be any problem in doing this?

Upload

Assuming the two inputs were 12ga, and the output was 8ga? (keeping the 12GA wiring to less than 3".)

Any problems with this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 252
Also, my inputs are extremely close together...This would also provide some room to work with...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4544
What kind of inputs do you have? Isn't it RCA? Why would you want to upgrade to 8 gauge? For is your goal?

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Isaac, I'm referring to the speaker wire terminals, not RCA's. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4555
So you trying to upgrade the output stage of your amp?
Unless you're talking about 2000w rms, there is no difference between 12 gauge and 8 gauge. The voltage and current flowing is just too low to take advantage of thicker wires.
Think about your household applications. The voltage is 115v and 15A max. Look at the wires used. It's nothing close to 2 gauge or even 0 gauge wires.

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Isaac, amp is rated at 1600 RMS.. And It's a pretty good length of wire, which is why I wanted to upgrade the size. :-) (I have it run to three seperate subwoofer inputs, each with 2 subs attached).

Gold Member

Post Number: 4560
I see, well 12 gauge is still good. I guarantee you using 8 gauge won't make any difference to your ears. The reason is, there is no high currents flowing, just volts.

Silver Member
Username: Tdisanto

Post Number: 203
Isaac is right, 8 guage is overkill especially for your system (1600 watts RMS).

Glass feels the same

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/wire.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Ok, well, regardless, would there be any disadvantages to doing this? I'm not particularly fond of the inputs on my hifonics, and, to use the least amount of wire, I'd need to run three inputs direct from the amp, instead of chaining from the terminals of the boxes..

The 8 gauge isnt necessarily entirely about performance, either.. but also for aesthetical reasons.. Fits the look of the setup more. But even without that - the hifonics terminals simply will not safely hold three 12 gauge connections.. (right now, I have them hooked up, but it's very..sketchy. Trimed down about half of two of the wires to fit them both in the same terminal, etc.)

So again... Would the idea of using like a distribution block for my speaker wire have any negative consequences? :-)

Seth

Gold Member

Post Number: 4567
Not really, as long as you do it properly, it can't harm anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us