How big of an Alternator do i need

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 208
This is what i have in my car:

In-dash flip up dvd player with 7" LCD screen, RE 12.1 amp, Alpine MRV-F340 amp, and possibly a PS2 later down the road. My lights don't dim too much, but if i am stopped at red light my car's voltage meter drops from like 13 to like 10 with heavy bass..... idk what my stock alternator is... i have a 1997 camaro Z28.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 749
10v Mike? Your gonna start burning amps. That is terrible. Anything below 12v is bad. Your going to need a HO alt for sure. Since that RE.12 is underrated I have heard, I would look into at least a 180-200A. The RE amp alone is too much for any stock alt, much less everything else you have there. Keep the volume lower untill you have the HO alt.

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 210
Well, i don't have the RE 12.1 yet, but i'm ordering it soon...so i was just including that in what i have. RIGHT NOW i have a power acoustik 880 RMS amp for my subs...and that is what makes the voltage go down to 10... How much are HO alternators... i don't have a lot of money to deal with becuz i have to buy the RE 12.1, a SX12, and a custom ported box to fit in the back of my camaro. To throw another 200-300 on top of that for an HO alternator... its gonna be tough... Maybe i will just get all the other stuff first, and just not play it that loud, becuz i should probably "break in" the sub and amp anyway for a good week or so... (i only drive like 1/2 a day) hmmm...but maybe becuz my voltage drops so low thats why my power acoustik amp goes into protect mode so much....

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 751
YES! If your voltage is dipping from a 880 wrms Power Akoustic, which way overrated, then you def are going to need one for the RE. Here is a couple of sites to look:

www.4alterstart.com
www.excessiveamperage.com
www.mralternator.com

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 262
Not sure what your Z28 is, but I know the V6 Camaro's / Firebirds come equipped with a 105 amp..assuming it's larger than that on the V8.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us