What would cause....

Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 6
Before I ask the question let me list the audio specs:

2 MTX 311d Class D Amps (daisy chained)
2 Kicker CompVR 12" 4ohm DVC

Ok one of 311d's blew a fuse AFTER it blew the sub (both voice coils fried) ofcourse I thought initially the fuse was blown after the speaker blew causing a short. I continued to try and wire up the second sub to the amp and replaced the fuse (what was I thinking...DOH!) when I turned the car on I got no sound...I thought for a second and then it came...THUMP! and the second speaker was fried (I could tell by the wonderful smell). Then again the fuse blew after killing the sub. So now I am down 2 subs and an amp. I am just wondering why after MONTHS of this set-up did it blow? what are some plausable causes for this? I just want to avoid this again cause I am going to upgrade to a more expensive system and do not want to blow it...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1869
Bad components in the amplifier...where did you have the amp mounted?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 424
Process of elimination:

How are the amps daisy-chained? Please explain the wiring diagram.

Check ALL wiring for defects such as worn or melted insulation that may have caused a SHORT. There is a short somewhere. Thats what is causing something to happen after monts of use without problems. Bad components that malfunction would do just that (MAFLUNCTION) and the circuit would not continue. If one or more of your inner components would seize, it would not cause your amp or speaker to fry. It would just not function and thats it.

Are there any exposed wiring? Are the amps fastened down and not moving arround to where they may come in contact with other conductors where they may create a short circuit? Are your amps fastened to something that may have shifted during a hard braking? That may have caused a short if your power wires came in contact with a ground or another power wire etc...

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 336
What's "daisy-chained"? And is it a good idea?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1879
Some amps have pre-out outputs that can be used to hook up additional amplifiers without having to go through the headunit. Say you have amps A and B. You don't want to run seperate cables for both to the headunit(or any other amount of reasons). You run one cable to the headunit and connect it to amp A. Amp A has a pre-amp output you use to connect it to amp B. To illustrate: Headunit->Amp A->Amp B with each "->" representing a single RCA cable.

You can do this for much more than just two amps...

It isn't really a good or bad idea (though it depends on the circumstances I suppose), it's just a different method for hooking up multiple amps.

Username: Vai4me

Michigan USA

Post Number: 7
lets see if I can answer all the q's...

I had the amps mounted to the back of the seat, the seats fold down and I have checked all the wiring for exposed wiring...the only issue I did notice and removed a while back was the RCA running from "Amp A" to "Amp B" (which is the blown one) was shorting. I had everything bolted down...even the dang box!

The only reason I daisy chained the 2 amps was because one amp was driving one sub while the other amp was driving the other sub.(eg. Amp A.-Sub A. ~daisy chain~ Amp B.-Sub B.)In order to use my head unit to control the subs at the same time I had to daisy chain them...the other preouts were running to a 4 channel amp...It was something new I wanted to try and it was a VERY loud set up.

The MTX amps I purchased were Factory Refurbs...does that make a difference I had often heard that factory refurbs were "better" to buy because they have been tested before being sent out...?

Ok so not to change the subject but I am considering Orion 1200d but also looking at Kicker 1200.1...which is better? The amp will be driving a set (2) of SoloBaric S12L7...if that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 427
What do you mean the RCA was shorting? Please Explain...

If the short is not fixed, it will blow your new amp and subs again.

I believe there is a short that is causing the amp and subs to blow. I believe they are pre amp stage. In other words, I do not believe it is inside your amp. It is prior to you amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us