Glass,Jake..... Why is it that amps give out

Bronze Member
Username: Caraudio

Post Number: 35
So i have to lanzars right there 4 Ohms per coil thats a 8ohm sub am i correct? Now what should i get a 2ohm or a 4ohm amp? Also why is it most amps give out more rms wattage at 2ohms then at 4ohms? Then there are few that give out more rms wats at 4ohm then at 2ohm whats the logic behidn that:S? Like here is what it says at 2ohms it will put out 500rms and 1000 max but at 8ohms it puts out the same so it gets confusing http://www.lanzar.com/manuals/HRW124D.pdf Then thers the 1ohm and 4ohm sub http://www.lanzar.com/manuals/OPTI1222D.pdf

Also just using lanzar as an example also because i have the 124's so please dont hate there not as bad as people say and even better for the price i got them at.

THANKS!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Oh and look at this http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.aspMODEL=VIBE1500D

Whats the difference between 2ohm and 4ohm :S?

and then look at this one
http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?MODEL=VIBE218
http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.aspMODEL=VIBE1800D

Like whats up with that it gets confusing when buying an amp what do you look at do you look at the ohms or do you just get the amp with most RMS going 2 channel or mono? Also is it better to get a mono channel amp for 2 subs or a 2 channel people also say a 2 channel amp can turn into a 4 channel and a mono is usually best for a single set of SUBS gives out more juice:S?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
the guy i got my viberant lanzar amp which is 300RMS 600watt max too 2channel amp i asked him for an upgrade probably extra 15 - 20 bucks to a vibe 258 or a 268 from a 248 any one??
http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?model=VIBE268
around 30 bucks more

or

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?model=VIBE258
around 60 bucks more
or keep the one i have this

http://www.lanzar.com/itempage.asp?model=VIBE248

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 948
Class D amp. You look at your voice coil setup. You want an amp that will give you the most power for your subs. With my Eclipses, each one is dual 4 ohm voice coils. One sub can be wired for 2 or 4 ohm. Two of them can be wired for 1,2,4, or 8 ohms. What's your voice coil setup, and how many subs?

Sorry, I'm not sober, or I'd be able to help you further :P.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 272
How do you wire a 4 ohm DVC sub so that it's 4 ohms? How do you wire two of them at 2 ohms? I'm either missing something here or you are really drunk.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 273
CARAUDIO,

If your subs are 4 ohm DVC, you need a mono amp that gives you the proper RMS output for your subs at 1 ohm or 4 ohms. If you have SVC subs, you need a mono amp that gives you the proper RMS output at 2 ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I HAVE 124D'S LANZAR HERTIAGE 500RMS 4OHM DUAL VOICE COIL SUBS CHECK THE SITE FOR FURTHER SPECS THANKS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I HAVE 124D'S LANZAR HERTIAGE 500RMS 4OHM DUAL VOICE COIL SUBS CHECK THE SITE FOR FURTHER SPECS THANKS.

Sorry for the caps and all so im looking to upgrade i dont konw depends on how much the guy offers the amp to me for ill consider upgrading to a 258 or a 268 and i wont be spending more then about 30 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 239
He could get a 2 channel and bridge it at 4 ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
is it better to bridge an amp or to get one to use straight up like the Lanzar Vibe 248,258 and 268 since at 4ohms there all 300rms+ and at 2ohms there less. ??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Also why is it that at 2ohms its 800rms and at 4ohms its 500 rms watts? thats 1600RMS watts to 1000rms watts or is it that for ever 2 ohms its a certain ammount of rms watts i dont get that.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 276
Seth,

Yeah, but I don't see any point in doing that. In my opinion, it's always best to use the more efficient Class D mono amps for subs. The THD will be higher, but it isn't really noticeable with subs. I just can't see using an A/B amp for subs unless it's an ultimate SQ system.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 277
CARAUDIO,

Your best bet is to get a Class D mono amp with an output of 1000w-1200w RMS at 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

It will probably be much cheaper to go with a mono amp that gives that output at 1 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
so what would u say keep the 248 or grab 258 or a 268 thoes are my only choises!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
BUMP!

Silver Member

Post Number: 968
Sorry man... I was no where near sober that night of the last post... And my computer died a couple days ago, and I'm digging through 1,600 emails from this forum...

And sorry, don't have time to look at those specs, can you post the specs for all three different amps? Thanks man... (busy as f*ck)

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
k 248

2 x 300 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
2 x 600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
1 x 1200 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
2 x 500 Watts at 2 Ohms RMS

2 x 400 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
2 x 800 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
1 x 1600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
2 x 650 Watts at 2 Ohms RMS

Now a lanzar user said my 248 is a great match if i run it at 2ohms it will run at 500RMS which my lanzar subs are RMS rated as now he is just going to help me finish setting me settings and stuff and that would be good but if i could upgradte the amp for an next 40 bucks should i? He said no but any one else? Also it gets really hot any fans you guys reccomend? i dont want to take a chance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
k 248

2 x 300 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
2 x 600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
1 x 1200 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
2 x 500 Watts at 2 Ohms RMS

2 x 400 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
2 x 800 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
1 x 1600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
2 x 650 Watts at 2 Ohms RMS

Now a lanzar user said my 248 is a great match if i run it at 2ohms it will run at 500RMS which my lanzar subs are RMS rated as now he is just going to help me finish setting me settings and stuff and that would be good but if i could upgradte the amp for an next 40 bucks should i? He said no but any one else? Also it gets really hot any fans you guys reccomend? i dont want to take a chance.

Bronze Member
Username: Lanzarchamp

Bakersfield, California United States

Post Number: 97
keep the 248 or get a monoblock 1ohm stable amp 1000 watts rms, because you dont want to put more than 500 rms to each sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
ill keep it.

Looking at the setup how does it look better then what you expected:S? How do i keep it cool what fan would you reccomend?

Silver Member

Post Number: 970
CarAudio: honestly, if I were just going for a "budget" system, I'd upgrade to the 258. Just me though.

It won't overheat as quick (check your gain settings), and I like to give the sub more power than it needs, so I KNOW the amp isn't working too hard.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Mmm ill see depends on how much more it would cost but Eddie what do you say extra 150RMS watts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Tne amp may not be working to hard but how does that effect the subs? I already have the bass boost 18Db controll thing also the settings arent at max but would that over due anything else?

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
It's just my .02, I highly doubt you're going to see much of a difference. And I'd upgrade ASAP, Lanzar is sh1t.

Silver Member

Post Number: 973
If it overheats, you need to turn the gain down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
doesnt over heat hasnt yet hasnt even got close but after about 15-20min of use n i stop n pop trunk check it out its PRETTYYY HOTT like id get burned if i touched it longer den 5-7 seoncds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
lanzar is not crap, i wouldn't upgrade to a better two channel, if i upgraded id upgrade to a monoblock 1 ohm stable amp, but if you upgraded to a bigger two channel, ud just have to turn down the amp so it doesn't put out to much power for the subs, plus the model subs you have cant really take that much more rms then specified, plus your subs will probly reach there full excursion if you have everything tuned and setup right, no need for more wattage

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Well do you want to see the box and the subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
Yea, that's overheating.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Well from waht you've told me i have it set at 2ohms so thats a good thing right?

Now for the settings at the back of the amp which ill get to you along with settings of my HU and that would be the fine tuned to the max right? Plus i want to find a clear class i dont want all that dam writing in it:@ Also this is somthing could pop the trunk to show off just a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Really? Umm well i was told amps get hot but once they go to protect mode is when their over heating i havent had a problem like that ofton and thats only when i crank my volume to about 30/40 on HU for 20min so maybe that too could be why?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
your fine keep the setup you have and get it equalized by someone that knows what there doing or do it yourself so it sounds good and doesn't overheat

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
if i told you the settings of hu and amp and it sounds pretty good becasue some one set it for me but amps getting kinda hot could you give me better reccomended settings?

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
I can run mine all day long with nothing get hot enough that I can't sit and hold my hand on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Whats your setup? How much did you spend (US DOLLERS?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 978
Read my profile (I think it's up-to-date). And I have no idea how much I've spent on it all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
well what are you looking for overall more spl over sq, or sq over spl

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 115
I only use the Subs for BASS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
i know that, im asking you, do you want sound quality over just plan out loudness, do you want it to sound clear and pound good, or just pound freaking hard and who cares about sound quality

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 117
Well i want it to be a NICE sounding HARD POUND. i dont wana rattle the SHIz outa my car but i dont want it to not move a tissue which i hold infront of the ports of the sub lol.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 118
I want it to hit hard and sound good so a bit of both. Right now it hits hard and sounds good well i havent heard difference between quality and jus straight up BANG.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
then whats the problem with the setup you have now, is it just the amp is getting hot

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 119
Yepp and also maybe if it can be fine tuned main question was should i upgrae the amp but you said no you shouldnt aslong as its tuned nice your fine so now i just gota FINE Tune it.

1. Amp getting kinda hot
2. Settings need to be adjusted by some smart personelle guy that set them is some bootleg isntaller cheap installation and good work no knowledge.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 120
Think my HPF is at like 225 and my sub level is at +4dB i forget what my LPF is on tho. Then another setting is at 60+12hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
set it in low pass mode and your db in the exact middle, and it looks like the other setting is your low pass setting put that to the lowest, all the way to the left, and your input level control should be set exactly what your hu is at, so i cant help you there ull have to check

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 123
Ill write down all settings for you ill do it now brb.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 124
HU Settings:

Bass +12
Trebel +12
Sub Lvl +4db (max +/-6db)
Sq Set 60hz+6 (can be +12 or 0)
LPF Hz 80
HPF Hz 180

Amp Settings:
Amp level is about same as HPF if not jus a tad higher

LPF about 25% \ like that on the amp scale to the left so you can turn it up more but its on the left side.

HPF about 65-70% / to the right of the adjust knob.

Freq Amp set: Low

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 126
bump.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
Take it to a shop and have them do it... I have no clue wtf you're talking about...

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 131
Thoes are my SETTINGS FOR AMP and HU are they alright?

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 132
Ive been told to turn the LPF setting all the way down. SO far.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 133
Now for my HU should i leave the HPF and LPF settings as is on my Head Unit or what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 983
Dude, I have no idea wtf you're talking about. It's hard to explain, unless I were there to show you...

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 135
Well what dont you get?

My HU has LPF and HPF settings okay? Now my LPF setting is 80Hz and my HPF setting is 180Hz

Now at the back of the amp LPF is at about 25% of the way up

HPF is about 80% of the way up

Level on the back of the amp is on about 85% of the way.

My DB Bass Boost is about about 1/3 the way up.

Now the amp is getting really hot after about 15min so now what should i do for the settings? Ive been told by tunring down LPF it will increase the loudness but what will it take away from??

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
turning down the lpf doesn't increase the loudness, it tells your amp that thats the lowest hz you want it to send to your subs, most low bass notes hit harder, depending on enclosure, but if you amps lpf drops all the way down to 15 and your subs produce from 35+ it might be wise to put it at the lowest, glass help me out here ive been up all night throwing up, my minds all messed up

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
ment to say might be wise to NOT put it at the lowest

Silver Member

Post Number: 985
Eddie hit it on the head. But your gain is what will make it overheat. Turn it down a bit (I'm assuming it doesn't tell you the volts on the dial...). And I don't understand your HPF and LPF on your HU. I didn't want to tell you wrong...

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 139
Ill turn that down a tad for shore.

Also ill turn down some the settings on the HU.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us