Glass, you had a Alpine CDA-9813 didn't you??

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 733
Well, I bought a used one about a month ago and I am having issues with trying to get my sound the way it should be. Hear me out~ I just have stock speakers up front being powered by the HU, which isn't too terrible because they are pretty good stocks and the built-in amp on the 9813 is powerful. Then I have a pair of aftermarket coax JL speakers in the back, with a JBL 2-channel amp. Then I have the subs with the sub amp.

The problem is that the front speakers are way louder than the back speakers and the subs in that case. So I end up fading it to the back a bit so I am not blown away by the front speakers. Even then I still have to turn the sub output on the HU to like +12db (out of 15) to get even some bass. The gain on the sub amp is set where it should be, maybe even a bit higher. The gain range is 200mv to 8v and I have it set a little more than half way.

The JBL amp for the rear speakers has a max input voltage of 4v, so I have the gain turned all the way down.

So I wondering if I should turn the gains up even more than they are now, even thought I wouldn't wan't to on the subs amp, but turning the sub level up to +12db seems really high to me. Sorry about the long post but I'd like to try to figure this out and I believe you did have the HU at some point.

BTW, would the cross-over on the HU have anything to do with this? I have the fronts cut off at 100hz, rears at 80hz and the subs LPF below 80hz. Just to let you know.

Thanks alot Glass, any help you give is greatly appreciated. :-)

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 738
Need to bump this... :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10606
XO points sound fine
the 9813 sub output is actually only 4 volts when it is turned up so you should have that up where you have it set.
try turning the gain on the JBL amp up just a bit.. maybe an eighth of a turn up and see if it makes a difference.

may nudge the gain up some on the sub amp too, since 4 volts is peak, and you're not using full volume due to the front speaker volume.
you'll just use a lower max volume level, which means a lower peak line voltage.. so a higher gain setting.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 739
Ok, thanks alot glass. I will try turning up the gain, but it still makes me mad that I haev to do that. Shouldn't I still be able to get alot of bass when I want to and less when I don't? I just makes me mad that I have to turn everything up to get a little bass, for some reason that seems wrong to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us