4 gauge on my amp.. but how?

Username: Hellyhans

Post Number: 1
Ok, well I got a orion HCCA 225 but its not the G4 series. I see the power cables that have been soldered to the board and they seem to be 10gauge. Now I wanted to but on 4 gauge power to this amp. How would I go on doing this?? Do I just mate the two wires together and solder them, Or should I completely remove the 10gauge wire and solder the 4 gauge directly on the board of the amp. Now i'am scared to do the last step as if I remove the wire, i'am scared that I won't be able to solder the 4 gauge wire back to the board.. what do you guys suggest?? Would I still get alot of current to the amp if I mate the 4gauge to the 10 gauge as close as possible to the amp? ( 2 inches ) Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 174
10 guage would choke the power line no matter how short it is. if you wanna run 4g to it, you have to desolder the 10g off of it.

Post Number: 2
This is what it looks like...8 gauge wire soldered to the 10 gauge wire.
The connection is pretty close to the other board components..

If I desolder the 10gauge wire.. will it leave a hole in the board or is there a kind of stub sticking out of the board to plug and solder the new wire??
FYI= I didnt do that soldering job.. my moron friend who I lent the board to one day did.
[img]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/321Picture_011-med.jpg[/img]

thx

Post Number: 3
This is what it looks like...8 gauge wire soldered to the 10 gauge wire.
The connection is pretty close to the other board components..

If I desolder the 10gauge wire.. will it leave a hole in the board or is there a kind of stub sticking out of the board to plug and solder the new wire??
FYI= I didnt do that soldering job.. my moron friend who I lent the board to one day did.

thx

Upload
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 4
Some people also told me I can drill the board to make to PCB accept 8 or 4 ga power!. I'am not sure about that though

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 420
if the board is a through hole mount type, then you can drill it. but you will have to make sure you will still have contact between the wire and the printed circuits on the back side of the board. i wouldn't reccomend doing that though because you could end up ripping out all the printed paths around where you drill.
i'd try and cut the wires on the amp short and solder the 4awg onto thoes because isn't that what basically happens in most amps?? after the screw terminal that i guess your missing, the connections to the board are smaller then 4awg??

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4452
Don't use 4 gauge wire on that amp. It won't do any good. The wire that's already there is good enough.
Don't drill any hole into the board. You'll not only increase the risk of damaging it, but also shorting out some components near by.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10591
either use larger wire outside the amplifier by connecting it to the amp's existing wire, or run the amp's wire directly to the d-clock to split down to the smaller wire from 4AWG off the battery, or desolder the wire and mount wiring terminals on the board.
then you'll need to drill out the end plate of teh amp to accomodate the wire terminals as well.. so unless you really know what you're doing it'll end up looking like a total hack job.. if you succeed in the conversion.
seen it done though with fair success.

Post Number: 5
Yeah, well I think I'am just going to put back 1ft of 10ga wire going into a d-block with a 4ga wire comming from the front... I think this would be enough.
Concerning the fuse
My orion manual says there is a main blow fuse and a quick blow fuse which I dont know where it would be located, I know the main fuse would be close to the battery
What kind of fuses should I get?the amp draws 30-35 amps
Thx

Post Number: 6
UPDATE:

So I removed the 10ga wire that was soldered to the 8ga.. here you can see 8ga wire next to the holes in the amp.. they dont fit. I'am able to put a good amount tight in there and might be able to solder around...I will ver and keep you guys updated on my setup

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4478
Just so you know, those 2 transistors are heat sensitive. If you used a powerful soldering iron, there's a chance you might damage it.
Just use caution.
I know the electronic stores sell a clip that you can attach on the transistors to deflect execessive heat.

Post Number: 7
Nah i just used a crappy pen soldering iron, was a itch to get out, but it came out ok with alot of patience and a desoldering pump :D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us