Isaac....MT question...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1094
hey man,

i'm tempted to sell my SX15 and go for an MT15 or 18. but i wanted to ask you a few questions:

what kind of power do you have going to your MT?
what size box and whats it tuned to?
what spider(s) does your MT have?
what vc's does yours have?
can RE give your T/S specs for your specific MT?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4397
I'm using around 1200w rms with my 15" MT. I made the box myself with 5 cu ft of space and one 6" port. If my trunk was any larger, I would've used 2 6" ports for even better sound.
The port is tuned to 35Hz.
I have 4 spiders and it's 1.4ohms. I measured it myself and I'm getting exactly 1ohms. This worked out great in my situation.
I tried to get spec on my MT, but those guys don't/won't give out the info.
Read up on one of my posts today. I went to a JL dealer and did a demo with my MT. I wanted better SQ, so since the shop preached JL W7, took their challenge. I used a bass testing cd that I made and used it in my car and in their setup.
I couldn't believe how clean the bass was at high volume. It didn't distort what so ever.
In fact, the W7 distorted at high volume. Since I used the same song, I was able to know exactly when the distortion kicked it.
Couple of those guys were impressed with my MT. It even trigged a car alarm during my demo.

aaabbbbcccc
Unregistered guest

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1097
do you mean you have the dvc 1.4ohm VC's or the dvc .7ohm VC's?

youre only givin it 1200wrms, 5cuft, and ~28.25" of port....hummm, do you get much port noise?

my current box for my SX15 is ~5cu ft+ tuned to 31hz w/ 50sqinches of port. I guess if i cut the port down a little and retune to 33-35hz, my box would be perfect.

If i do get an MT15 or 18", i'm thinkin about 2 kx1200.1's strapped. Or maybe an RE 22.1, whenever they come out.

thanks for the info man...you got any pics of your install?

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1658
you're gonna need a WAY bigger alt.
2 1200.1's, that's at least 240A of current draw.
or a battery bank.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4410
It was the 1.4ohms version. It ended up being only 1ohm, do it works perfectly with my amp setup.
If your current box is already 5 cu ft and is tuned to 31Hz, then keep it that way. No need to cut. MT will go even lower than that. I only used 35Hz cause of my limited trunk space.
I will warn you that, if you're after SQ, then MT will not be a good fit. If SPL and SQ is what you want, then so far my MT is surprising lot of people.
I got mine new so it took a while to break in. First 3 weeks, it sounded like L7 (azz), but now, even at low volume, the bass is low and soft. Before, you could tell it wasn't a SQ sub.
Almost everyone will tell you MT is SPL only and not in the same class as W7 etc. Heard it many times before. Today, even I was surprised at how well my sub performed. The bass was loud, clean, and no distortion. The JL guys were expecting to beat my sub in performance, they had a good reason to.
During the demo, my car was the only one that set off a car alarm in the parking lot. I would've thought the other way around. I think judging from their reaction, it was probably the first time that occurred.
I still can't believe my MT went head to head with W7 and didn't lose the SQ test.
I will admit, under 600w rms, W7 is very good, but above that, now that my MT is almost broken in, it is right up there. In a blind test, most people would think my MT was the W7.
To be fair, I did not use rap or any song that was 60Hz. Almost any $hitty sub will sound decent. It was a special one that had at least 3 different types of bass, with the 3rd being ultra low, probably around 30Hz. So my sub and the JL had to produce wide range of frequencies.
It sounds like I'm exaggerating, but somehow, I ended up making an impact on those JL guys. No longer can they tell me JL will out perform my setup.
When I have time and camera, I'll take a pic of my sub. It is all black with no carpeting. I used sound deadening rubberish spray on the inside and out. It may not in awards for looks, but the sound is great.

Silver Member
Username: Xkawn

Post Number: 149
rock on. i wish i had the trunk space for an mt sub or even a pair.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us