Other forums arent working... speaker wiring

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 240
well the other forums wont work for me right now except this and the accessories one so im posting here. anyways is there a way to wire (2) 6 1/2" 2-way speakers both 4ohm (svc) to a 2 ohm load? I know you can with subs but what about on speakers to get a higher output to them?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1769
You just do it the same way it's done with subs...wire them in parallel. Make sure the unit powering them can handle the two ohm load.

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 241
okay thanks Jexx

Silver Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 242
Will it still sound just as good, or will the 2 ohm load lose SQ?

Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 7
I asked the same question before and everyone that replied said 'don't do it'. You'll either lose sound quality or break your speakers, if you want more power to your speakers, get a bigger amp.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1773
You might want to check this out: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/159643.html

Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 10
make sure u read the differences between subs and speakers though. Looks like they are talking about wiring subs.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1774
Nah, they're just talking about ohm loads on car amp and loudspeaker applications in general.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 409
Subs usually have a thicker voice coil wire, and it is made to withstand greater current than normal speakers. Thats why subs may (not should) be used in applications below 4 ohm.

A 6" driver has a 1-1.5" voice coil. Subwoofer voice coils start at 2" and go up from there. There are subs out there with 1.5" voice coils, but those shouldnt be used in applications under 4 ohms.

IMO, I wouldnt do it for the fear of blowing them up. A 2 ohm load or lower spells dangerous current flow. Most amps even though they say they are stable at .... rating, they have very poor control, and thats why I wouldnt risk it.

COMP 88 said it true;

" if you want more power to your speakers, get a bigger amp. "

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 202
"Subs usually have a thicker voice coil wire, and it is made to withstand greater current than normal speakers. Thats why subs may (not should) be used in applications below 4 ohm. "

Um.. so they make 2+2 ohms for fun?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us