Fusing an amp

scb
Unregistered guest
Is it ALWAYS a must?

Even if the amp is mounted inches from the distro. block and the amp/distro. block are mounted to wood and no metal is near the cable?

Is there a reason to fuse other than to protect against short circuits?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 242
Yes, it is a must.

Why would you not want to use a fuse? Some amps do have fuses built-in on the side of the amp, but I'll assume yours doesn't since you asked this question.

scb
Unregistered guest
Well, like I said, the amp is very close to the dist. block and there is no chance of a short. It is just one more thing to restrict current flow and one more thing to buy...those fuse holders can get spendy!

The amp does have fuses on it...2 to be exact.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 243
If the amp has its own fuses, then you don't need to worry about the extra fuse at the amp. Note that you still need a fuse on your power wire at the battery.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 574
scb, you do not need another fuse. Assuming you fused your distro block at the rating your amp's manufacturer recommends, you're fine.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 244
Since the amp has its own "blade" fuses, being fused at the dist. block doesn't really matter either. Of course, your dist. block would have to be a fused dist. block to begin with. Either way, you're fine. Just be sure you fuse your main power wire at the battery.

scb
Unregistered guest
My amp does have its own blade fuses

And

My dist. block is NOT fused...

Am I still fine?

Keep in mind the amp will be mounted within inches of the dist. block and everything is mounted to wood.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 577
How far its mounted for the block isn't that big of an issue. Yes, you're still fine. Assuming your amp is made well, there's no issue and you won't blow any fuses if you're using it how it was intended to be used.

scb
Unregistered guest
Bump

scb
Unregistered guest
"How far its mounted for the block isn't that big of an issue"

Well, the longer you route the power wire the greater the chances that the wire will short to ground...the way I see it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us