16 volt batt for car audio

Bronze Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 57
Look i was thinking the same thing in another thread to use a 16v batt a second batery and run it just to my amp would it work or be a little to much to the amp at 16v instead of 14.4v like its "suposed" to get

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 406
i think it would depend on whether or not the amp could take the extra voltage. and depending on how you hook the extra battery up, you could fry your electrical system. you'd also have to find a way to charge to 16 volts since most alternators only charge to 14.4

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1755
I'm with Brandon on this one. I'm also pretty sure that it would damage your amp after a while.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 911
Yea, it would fry your amp, unless it was a high-end amp, like Zapco. And you'd have to get a voltage "regulator" that could handle the current, yet up the voltage to 16+ volts so you could charge it, or find an alternator that puts that much out. But if you do that, you'd fry everything else in the car...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10545
firstly, the amplifier would need to have an unregulated power supply.
secondly, it woud also have to be able to handle 16 volts without damage to the circuitry which means higher tolerances, so probably all MilSpec components throughout the amp.
Lastly, you'd only be able to connect the amplifiers to that battery. Most electronics aren't designed to operate at 16 volts for a car.

Those batteries you're looking at aren't made for audio systems. They're made to bet more power to ignition systems in drag cars.. higher voltage means more power when you're talking about spark plugs and ignition coils where there aren't any really sensitive electronics in the terms you're talking about for audio gear.

Bronze Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 58
so basically you are saying dont even waste your time doing it

by the way my amp is the mb quart raa 1000 does it even have a unregulated power supply

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10548
if I recall, the mb quart reference amps are all tightly regulated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us