MEMPHIS POWER REFERENCE QUESTION

Username: Maddrakkett

Post Number: 2
I just had a Memphis dealer install a Memphis Power Reference PR100.2 amp and a Memphis Power Reference PR104D 10" dual voice coil sub.

Now the amp is supposed to only handle a 4 ohm load when bridged, yet I verified the installer wired the subwoofer in parallel, creating a 2 ohm load. Then he wired it with the positive lead coming from the amp's Left + and the negative coming from the amp's Right + and it is working great!

This is strange to me, because the bridged mode is supposed to be Left + and Right - under a minimum 4 ohm load, but the dealer told me it can handle a bridged 2 ohm load because it is overbuilt and under spec'd.

Can anyone confirm if this is true for this amp, being that this is a lower line model from Memphis? Is there some "insider secret" from Memphis that allows their amp to run a 2 ohm load when using both positive terminals?

I can't complain because it is able to run hard and hit strong without flinching, but I just don't see how. Am I in for an unexpected surprise if I leave it this way?

Username: Maddrakkett

Post Number: 3
Should I have the audio dealer swap the sub out for a single voice coil at 4 ohms or am I ok to keep the dual VC at 2 ohms since it seems to be working fine?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us