What i need to no when buying amp & subs

Casey08
Unregistered guest
Ok im really new at all this. Im trying to learn. I have a few questions. How do you match an amp and perhaps i get 2 12" subs,how would i make sure that the amp i get will be able to power both subs. I know you have to look at the RMS but is there anything else? And what is the diff from 2 or 4 channels,
I no im an idiot at this, thats why im asking some knowledgable people!

Silver Member
Username: Jaackdeth

United States

Post Number: 643
You want to get as close to the RMS of the subs as you can with the amp you buy, look around before you do buy anything, because alot of cheaper amps say they will put out all kinds of power, and they don't, you will need to provide a budget, so you know what you can spend and on what.

The diff between a 2 and 4 channel is actualy what it means, a 2 channel is designed to run 2 speakers, and a 4 four!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 383
Match your amp and subs, by resistance, then watts, then channels.

i.e.

Resistance: match up your subs combined resistance to an amp you like.

Watts: try and get an amp that can put out slightly more power than the subs can handle in RMS

Channels: for subs, people just use one or two subs in either a one channel, or two channel configurations. Some experts use three subs using a one channel amp, or a two channel amp bridged, but the resistance should be carefully calculated, otherwise you may end up with a mess.

The difference between 2 channel and 4 channel amps is flexibility. They are both stereo amps, but some 4 channel amps offer a 3 channel setup as well (bridge 2 channels for a sub configuration, and keep the other 2 channels stereo for a component set).

Other things to look for are:

Input sensitivity: This is the level of voltage that your amp may accept from your HU. It is frequently labeled "GAIN". Your amp will have a variable adjustment knob to allow you to fine tune that input voltage coming from your HU. Ask Glasswolf, Jonathan, or Isaac about this.

Amplifier classification is also important. Class A are top of the line amps that have excellent sound quality, excellent control of volume even at full blast, and they have top of the line circuitry, power supplies, and other electronic parts. Class B are great amps, but are slightly duller in sound quality, but are still excellent amps for stereo use (component sets). Class A/B are basicly class A amps, but under extreme loads and or volumes they switch to class B to offer more power. Class D amps are usually rugged high powered amps that are mainly used in subwoofers and are designed to be used at low resistance loads. They are not designed for sound quality, but more for power. Class A amps will usually produce a lower power output, but they will always be dependable, and will handle exceptionally well.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10539
you need to learn everything you can before spending money.
best advice I can give you.
www.bcae1.com
www.wickedcases.com/tutorials
www/the12volt.com

those are some good sites for information

Username: Cmljockey

Post Number: 4
I'd recommend a mono-channel amp to power the subs, and another 2, or maybe a 4 channel amp for the speakers in the car. That's what I'm running myself, and it's a great set-up.

Username: Cmljockey

Post Number: 5
selling a couple mono-channel amps btw if interested. located in northern NJ/NYC area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us