Questions about Kicker's amp strapping ability.

kickin it
Unregistered guest
I've got a KX400.1 2002 model, can i "strap" that model with kicker's current 2004/05 KX400.1?
Can i ONLY use 2 of the same model/wattage or can i mix? Like a KX400.1 and a KX600.1

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10503
the amplifiers have to be identical.
you're basically taking two mono amplifiers and connecting them to act like a stereo amplifier that's in bridged mode by inverting the channel of one amplifier so half of the output waveform is produced by each amplifier, alternating back and forth to get the full sine wave output.

kickin it
Unregistered guest
Identical in Wattage yes?
howabout strapping a 2002 model with a 2005 model?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1759
They have to be identical in every aspect(within reason, of course).

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 245
Are you sure they have to be the same year? I'd think not as long as his 2002 model has this capability.

Note that the stable impedance of these amps changes if they are "strapped".

kickin it
Unregistered guest
Hmm..I guess i gotta email kicker directly to get a definite answer.
James if my Kx400.1 is 400RMS @ 2ohms and 200RMS @ 4ohms, how do those values change after "strapping"?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 247
I'm really not sure. I just checked the manual for my KX1200.1 and it said the minimum impedance for the KX400.1 and KX600.1 was 4 ohms after strapping.

kickin it
Unregistered guest
okay i just emailed kicker's support and they said that after strapping my 400.1 it comes to:
"800 watts into 4 ohms and 400 watts into 8 ohms. When strapping the amps together it changes the ohm stability to 4 ohms total on the 2 amps."
Funny tho they still have'nt answered my question about the different years.. :-)

kickin it
Unregistered guest
Heheh.. just got another reply from kicker:
"Yes, it is OK to strap an 02 KX400.1 amp with an 04 KX400.1 amp."

So there i have it. Thanks guys. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us