Fiber optics?

Bad_Azz_Bowtie
Unregistered guest
Alright yall i wanna know if this can be done? Can you convert a standard class d amplifier into fiber optic? I wanna try and run a car audio system with fiber optics instead of speaker wire. Can this be done?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 685
I really do not think so. And if it was possible it would be something that a hardcore electrical engineer would do. My theory: If YOU have to ask if it can be done, your not going to have the knowledge to do it, even if it is possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Biteworms

Clearwater, Florida United States

Post Number: 21
Several things wrong with the idea.

Light is very different from electricity.

Optical fibers carry SIGNALS not POWER. They are an inefficient medium for transferring power due to the heat generated at the diode that reads the output optical signal. It would take expensive lasers (which generate a lot of heat) to transmit even a modest 100w. And even if that was not a problem, how do you suppose light is going to induce the magnetism in the voice-coils to move the cone? The only way light could move the cone would be to spin very-high energy light in a very thin, tight and long coil in order to warp the very fabric of space-time enough to move the cone. Now, this itself would pose many problems, as when space is warped enough to move the cone (or move SPACE around the cone), time is also distorted. Talk about staging problems!!! :p NOT PRACTICAL ON ANY SCALE. The only way to generate magnetism with the electromotive force of the photons would be to turn them back into electricity through a photovoltaic cell which can only produce proportionally miniscule voltages to stay efficient. Also not practical.

There is only one place where it would be practical to use optical fiber lines, and for it, they would be far superior to wires. Fiber optics would be ideal for transferring signals from HUs to amps. They would not be voltage-dependant and would have extremely high fidelity with little or no loss whatsoever. Infact, many home-audio systems have optical in/outs (even relatively cheap ones).

Just remember fiber optics = data.

stew-dent
Unregistered guest
*takes notes*

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1026
"Alright yall i wanna know if this can be done?"

time travel is generally believed to be impossible. anyone familiar with steven hawking or even string theory will explain a theoretically different view. 90% of the now current technology was at one point in time said to be impractical or impossible. fiber optics for goodness sake is a marvel when you look at it for what it is. anything is possible. it just takes innovative minds to overcome what is generally accepted as "what can't be done."
when you figure it out, let me know.

wormbites, that was a great breakdown. very informative.

bad_azz_bowtie
Unregistered guest
just an idea...lol

bad_azz_bowtie
Unregistered guest
i was just in my computer tech class and the teacher said something about how much better fiber optics carry audio and stuff like that quicker and clearer so i was like.. can it be done..thx for the input

Anonymous

carrying audio isn't a power supply

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4789
It is for signal transfer only. Fiber optics are mostly used in industrial applications since there are so many issues with electrical noise within cabinets, this is especially useful for PLCs, they can also carry much more data than a typical coax cable or copper wire would. Fiber optics can also carry the full range of digital signals, opposed to cable transferring analogically. There are car audio head units that use fiber optics, and work quite well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1029
perhaps i misunderstood the initial question.
so i suppose my query would be why don't amps accept optical ins, and is this not possible?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10501
well, you'd need a head unit that's just a transport with no DACs.. that'd have to go TOSlink to an external processor/EQ/crossover unit.
Alpine offers this already.. head unit is three grand, processor is a few grand more on top of that.
then you need amplifiers that have TOSlink inputs and actually have DACs built into them.
these don't exist as of yet, to my knowledge for car audio.

you can't use TOSlink for speakers, because TOSlink carries a digital signal, and speakers are analog devices, so you need to send the signal to the speaker as a high voltage analog signal (AC voltage) from the amplifier. Until you can invent a true "digital" speaker, you're not going to be using TOSlink cables to connect to your speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4365
You can spend tons of money on audio equipments, but SQ is really, only as good as your ears. If you have highly sensitive ears, then you might be able to get some enjoyment out of it, if not, it'll sound the same as the average system.
Like they say, you're only as strong as your weakest link (ears).

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4791
You also have to consider this is going to go into a car, where 75db at cruising speed is considered normal. You aren't going to notice a bit of difference compared to a good RCA out anyway. It makes more sense in home audio than anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1034
Then home audio would definately be out of my league.
I can hardly afford to pursue the best sound possible in my car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us