Amp cutting out...muddy help!!!

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 160
if my lights don't dim to bad at night, but when i turn the gain up on my PA amp like 3/4 the way up, and it goes to protect mode, is that just cuz its sh!tty PA, or that its not getting enough power from my alternator??? I wouldn't think its the alt. becuz my lights do not dim a lot at all, a very subtle dim. The amp cuts out during both day and night...and mostly on songs with tight, quick bass... "Hate it or Love It" by The Game and 50 cent for example

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1344
is your amp gained to match your HU pre-out voltages?

at 3/4 i doubt they are.
whatever your pre-out voltage on your HU is, that is what your amp should be set at, no more, no less.

Example:my HU has 4volt preouts, so my amp is gained to 4volts.

it sounds to me like you have the gain turned up to much(too sensitive of an input), and the amp is overworking itself.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1345
you actually could go a little less, b/c your HU doesn't put out it's stated pre-out voltage until you get to 3/4 - max volume i think.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1346
the less sensitive your gain is set to, the higher the input signal is.
(it is kinda confusing, b/c when someone says to turn it to 4volts and your is at 6volts, you would think that is turning the gain down, but in actuality, you are turning the gain up, to increase the input sensitivity):-)

to turn your amp down from 2volts to 6volts would be decreasing the input sensitivity. get it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
i have no idea what my HU pre-out voltage is...Its a Jensen VM9410 Headunit (7 inch flip out dvd player) and i had a local audio shop install it. Also how do u know what you amp is gained to in volts?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1348
an amp usually goes from: 100mV - 6V on a clockwise scale. note this is just an example, not all amps have that sensitive of an input, or that insensitive of an input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
i don't know what input sensitivity is or how any of that voltage stuff works....

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1349
this is the closest i found to your HU, and it has 2v preouts.
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001 &storeId=10001&productId=14434&langId=-1

it should be in the first quarter to middle of your gain knob.(just to be in the safe side)

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
my amp's gain should be between 1/4 and 1/2 the way up??? and i can put the bass boost knob all the way up?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1354
idk, look up your amp model at www.poweracoustik.com , and see what your input sensitivity range is on your amp, and then try to guestimate where it is on your gain. that is the best advice i can give you other than to put it in the middle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
oh well, i will be getting my new set-up within a few months. Either a 12" or 15" RE SX in a ported Box with either a RE 12.1, kicker 1200.1, or orion 1200D amp... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us