New to all this, please help "looking for an amp"

Username: Sinx85

Post Number: 1
hey guys, i was checking some amps on ebay and some of them were really cheap, like legacy 2000 watt is only for $139. then i did a search on google and came accross this form and saw alot of bad reviews on lagacy amps.

i have few things that i am not clear off

1) how to find out, what amp is actually good
2) what is RMS power, and should it be higher in the amp ?
3) what is 1 ohm , 2 ohms , 4 ohms ( what do they do)
4) whats the differene in bridged @ 2 ohms or at 4 ohms
5) should i look for an amp with more ohms
6) also i see some amps with 2 channels and some got 4 channels? which one is better.

i currently have 3 INFINITY 1230W 12 in subwoofers ( are these any good ) what amp should run with these

any information is greatly apprecaited

thankyou

Bronze Member
Username: Randomly128

Post Number: 14
For starter throw those infinity woofers away I had 2 of those and when I threw 400 watts to each of them, they could barely handle them. I had used an audiobahn a800t intake series to power them.

Then you should go here www.the12volt.com to answer your questions about ohm's law, and anything else.

Then give yourself a price pt(budget).

Rule of thumb (well for me) look at the weight of those amps. The heavier the better(usually).

I would suggest choosing your woofers 1st
then find a sufficient amp to power them

Post Number: 2
hey bro thankx for replying. What subwoofers do you suggest ? and do i find out which one's are good and wahts not. These infinity says 1200 watt and thats why i bought these :-( .
well i can just return these so thats no problem.

my budget is around $600 for subs and amps, if its too low i can spend more,i just need crazy system :D. i already have dvd player and lcd monitor for my suv.

thankx

Post Number: 3
hey bro thankx for replying. What subwoofers do you suggest ? and how do i find out which one's are good and wahts not. These infinity says 1200 watt and thats why i bought these :-( .
well i can just return these so thats no problem.

my budget is around $600 for subs and amps, if its too low i can spend more,i just need crazy system :D. i already have dvd player and lcd monitor for my suv.

thankx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
AHH SUV nice!! So your alternator should be kick a@@. You'll need a good 1.

Well I have a hifonics BX1605D
paired w/ audiobahn aw121t's (two of them)
and thats 1100 watts at 2 ohms.

That was well under $600.
I had spent $400.

To find out whats good or not ask around in this forum. (subwoofer wise)
Plus don't forget everybody has their own personal favorite. So'll they will likely throw that into the mix.(me obviously audiobahn)

Me if I had that budget I would have to get
(2) Audiobahn AW1205N 12"
(1) Hifonics BX 2005D

Drop those to 1 ohm and boom 2000 watts
And yes I mean BOOM

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Just remember weight is a good indication of whats quality or whats crap!!

Silver Member
Username: Quickshot

Charlotte, North Carolina U.S.

Post Number: 255
wow David your a nub...dont listen to him those Infinity subs are some good entry level subs they soudn real good and get farily loud..when looking for audio dont look at max look at rms..the rms of those subs is 300 and dotn look at Hifonics those ams are overrated for a cheap/quality amp look at JBL and MTX amps

Username: Btownsoccerstud

SC USA

Post Number: 2
yes infinity are really nice entry level subs i would go with 1 15" L7 off ebay and 1 kenwood mono 1800 watt amp that should be around 500 and you can build a box for it off of kickers website the give you box specs for their subs

Post Number: 5
hey whats the good price on this kenwood mono 1800 watt amp ? these are the specification for this amp
subsonic filter 18 db octave
Variable low pass crossover 50hz - 200hz
500 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms
900 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms
1800 Watts max @ 2 ohms
freq. Response 5 - 200 hz
100 db signal to noise ratio

i have another questions about the L7 subs. I have read on this forum that they sound lound, but the quality is bad. is it really that bad? i have an expedition so and i like lound lound bass but if the quality is very bad then i want to go with something else?
what do you guys suggest

thankyou

Anonymous

Suggest u read this so it'll @ least set u on the right track ......
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us