I need some advice.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
I have 4 8s in a sealed enclosure rated at 200RMS/400peak (each). The are SVC 4ohm subs. I can wire for 4 ohm mono. What amp for <$500 would be a good choice to power these?

Silver Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 653
Don't u want to wire them up to 1ohm like showed here ??? http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1255
so you need an amp that does approximately 800wRMS at 1 ohm, or 4 ohms.

i suggest a kicker kx 850.2, 850wRMS @ 4ohms bridged mono.:-)

not sure how much it costs, but i have seen it on the web for 350 + shipping and up.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
I can wire them for either 1 ohm or 4 ohms but, I was leaning towards the 4 ohm configuration because there aren't too many amps that are 1 Ohm stable. Most amps also seem to play a little cleaner and more efficiently into a 4 ohm load. As for the kicker amps, I have had no experience with them and have always though of them as "middle-class" amps. Here are the amps I am considering: JL 500.1, RF T5002, Alpine MRD-1005. Thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 826
JL is of course the best. But I've never been impressed with their price tag. It's pretty much 50/50 between Alpine and RF brand wise. If it were me, it'd depend on the specs, and specs alone between those two brands. (I don't buy JL)

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
"don't buy JL" ??? Because of the price?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 219
I think the RF and Alpine amps would also be considered "middle-class" right along with the Kicker amps.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Would you still say the JL 500.1 is better considering its lower output?

JL 500RMSx1 @ 1.5 - 4 Ohms 11v-14.4v

MRD-1005 700RMSx1 @ 4 Ohms 14.4v
500RMSx1 @ 4 Ohms 12v
1000RMSx1 @ 2 Ohms 14.4v (which does
me no good)

RF T5002 369x2 @ 2 Ohms 14.4v
697x2 @ 1 Ohms 14.4v

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 146
in the choice of those amps
1.JL
2. Kicker and Rockford tied i've heard good things about kicker amps i use rockford amps so i really like them but my amps are the older style
4. alpine
it looks like the rockford amp comes closest to want you need for power. but the Jl will do 125 to each sub which isn't too far from your 200 rms

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 833
I don't buy JL because I can get just as good, if not bettery quality for much less. They just use their name, and it pisses me off, don't ask, it just does. And yea, it's probably better, but there's no replacement for power.

I'd probably go with the Alpine. That way if you decide to change something and can get the 1ohm load, you'll have more power. And the Alpine will be about as clean of power as the JL.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 221
Considering the fact that you need 800w RMS for your four subs, I don't think the JL 500.1 is a fit.

Personally, I'd be looking at mono amps that do 800w-1000w RMS at 1 ohm. If the extra cost doesn't bother you, look at mono amps that do 800w-1000w RMS at 4 ohms.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
What about the MB Quart RAA2400?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 660
I agree with James G totally .

if u'd wire @ 1 ohm then this would suit u fine http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iSLkSTOihNg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&id=essential _info&i=049RAA1000#Tab

its really hard to match 4 ohms cause most amps that do that are either 600wrms or 1200 , 1 too high the other a bit below .

Have u considered a 2 amp set-up option ????

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
What the main push to use a mono amp vs a 2 ch amp? Class D over A/B?

I don't have enough mounting room for 2 sub amps.

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 662
Oh u posted that whilst i was searching/typing - well yeah that would be perfect . I had that in mind for u but was checking up on the specs .
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lQmiGwFO8Co/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=120&avf=N&nvpai r=FFBrand%7CMB+Quart#see_all

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Man that is cheap for a 2x200 amp! Are the RAA quarts any good? Would the RAA2400 be better than the MRD-1005?

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 663
Check it out @ MB's site - these are the lower series models of amps .

I own a pair of 400wrms 4ohm dvc subs so i'm getting the RAA1000 amp for myself .

Alpine & MB quart are about the same ranking but i think that Alpine is too weak for your purpose

Alpine specs
# Per channel into 2 ohms : 700W x 1
# Per channel into 4 ohms : 500W x 1

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
The specs you listed are for the Alpine @ 12v, it's closer to 700Wx1 @ 4 ohms 14.4v. I still can't get over how cheap they are selling the RAA for. I kind of scares me away (get what you pay for and all).

Silver Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 666
I think what the MB is , its last yrs model so they probably have some in stock they want to get rid off sorta like the clearance sale they have with cars .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us