Running a Kicker KX600.1 amp on 8 guage wire

Bronze Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 47
is running 8 guage wire to the kicker kx600.1 amp, bad, am i losing any power?

Wisekiewincz
Unregistered guest
I dont know much.. but that seems too small. I'd go 4 gauge if i were you. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Bronze Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 86
Try this
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10358
you're fine if it's wired at 4 ohms.
if it's running 600 watts at 2 ohms, you're going to cause the amp to clip, and you're going to end up melting through the wire and possibly starting a fire.

60A of current needs 4AWG power line

Wisekiewincz
Unregistered guest
Is it alrite to assume how much current an amp draws by looking at the fuse rating for it?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 222
That gives a fairly close estimate.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10407
no, because the fuse is set for minimum load on the amp, and current draw varies with load.
the 600.1 will draw about 60A at 2 ohms, and 30-35A @ 4 ohms, at full volume.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 224
It still gives a close estimate of what the amp can draw. I would think that most people who buy 2 ohm stable mono amps would run them at 2 ohms to take full advantage of the amp's capability. Granted, it won't draw nearly as much current if ran at 4 ohms.

Moey
Unregistered guest
I had 8-gauge wiring on my kicker kx400.1 and it was cutting out. so i changed 2 4-gauge, n now its fine. i would assume that if 8-gauge wasnt enough for the 400.1, theres no way in hell its enough for the 600.1. lol

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10456
you're assuming.
a lot of people buy a 2 ohm stable amp to run two subs, but only buy one sub at first, running at 4 ohms till they can afford the second sub.
You also have people running 4 ohms to get cleaner power and more headroom from teh amplifier like I do.
Again, the amp's fuse ratings are for peak draw at minimum load. if you really want to protect the amp and the speakers, you use a fuse rated for peak draw at teh load you're actually running.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us