Cig LIgheter and car Hu help..... PLZ

Silver Member
Username: Pikesh

Post Number: 195
couple of months ago i fried my ignition wire, so i took it to professional. i think he powered up the deck by using the cig lighter or something becuase now my cig lighter isnt working... so i need power back in cig lighter so i can have those neaon lights in the car..i have all the stuff rbrought already.. how do can i get power back in my cig light ne alternate???-

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 231
Well, you could cut the cigarett light attachment on the lights, wire the + to the back of the HU's + wire, and the - to the back of the HU's -. Cut the wire somewhere in the center after the install, find a place you would like to mount a switch, go to your local auto parts store, get a toggle switch, insert the toggle switch between the cut wires, mount the switch, and voila! No more cigarette lighter necessary...That's what I'd do at least, it looks cleaner, and if the switch is hidden, and lights aren't allowed in your state, cops won't know. As far as the actual fixing of the lighter, I have no idea bud.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 808
Only thing I've ever used the cig lighter is for lighting smokes :P.

On most cars, the cig lighter is ran through the ignition. I hate that, I like to run a cooler or charge my cell phone while I'm out of the car, so I usually wire it right to the battery bank (or just single battery) and fuse it. With my three batteries back there, I can run a cooler for weeks :P.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
alright thnx tyler... other people have told me the same thing and i agre that it looks cleaner but i am planning to sell my car, when? i have NO IDEA so until then i just wanna have the light inside the car ne ways and i also rbought this exta cig lighter plugins cuz this way i can just plug it in n have lights soo its like a portable thing ... or lets say even if i cut that thing that goes into cig lighet and justocnnect postive n negateive... in my new car how do i install that again? same procedere cuz it takes some time for me to take off the deck( not for the old car cuz i am familiar with it) well what are my options... instead of cutting the lights.. i can just may be cut the actualy extension that gives me for outlets... tell me if i can fix my cig lighet OR HOw can i just wire the extension with Hu with postive n negative..:S REd wire and ground..?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
bump

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 233
Well like I said, I have no idea what would be causing your cigarette lighter to not be working. And yes, you can do the lights the same way in your new car. I'm trying to figure out with my car how to do that, as well as, get the lights to play with the music. I have a feeling a resistor or capacitor is going to be necessary, if anyone knows anything, help me out.

Also, the wiring is simple. Figure out on your lights, after it's cut, which wire from it is + and which is -. Then just connect to the red wire in the HU and the black wire in the HU. The black from the HU is already grounded, so it's perfect. If that's confusing, take any standard power wire on say lamp. Find where the plug for the lamp is. You'll notice that it appears the lamp as two wires running to the plug, one for + one for -. It's the same thing with your car, or at least should be.

The only thing I question is if the cig. adapter on your lights is a single wire to the adapter, that means that when you plug it into the cig. lighter, there's only a + wire running to the adapter, rather than a + and -. This would be because the manufacturer of the lights would assume the cig lighter is grounded, and not bother with a - wire.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments as to what I've said, or corrections, feel free.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
well on the neon rods, there are two wires.... so thats nice BUT there is a fuse.... on the tip that goes in the slot...ALso this is what i was planning to use... can i just cut this device n attach this instead of cutting the wires?
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
another thing.... since my cig lighter isnt working after the deck has been fixed... i think the guy cut the cig lighter wire and gave power to deck... becuase today i took my deck out and on the back of cig liter, i saw some wires and there was a black wire, which looks exactly same as the one he used. he used black wire to power it up soo Can i just peel that black wire lil bit from hu and try connecting the black wire from cig ligter.. so basically give another output from the power cable of cig liter

Silver Member

Post Number: 202

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
WELL BUMP!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us