HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!2000 sunfire

Silver Member
Username: Perrydog

Flint, Michigan USA

Post Number: 125
alright my girlfriend just baught a 2000 sunfire and she wanted a cd player in it, so i told her id put on it well i went and bought a wire harness and pulled all the wires in and well the cd player will not turn on!, the cd player works in my car so i know its not the player, well i called a local car audio store and they said in the 2000 sunfire factory harness there is NOT a 12V power wire(RED WIRE)(has the 12V batt./mem.(YELLOW)) they said i should be able to hook the wire into a 12 source that tunrs on with the ignition, they said there should be a red wire in the ignition harness i can splice into, well i look for 5 hr and cant find one thing that will work,i figure im not the only one with this problem, PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 353
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thats a strange thing. I m not fdamiliar with that car at all.

Lets break this down. Lets solve by process of elimination. According to your local car audio store said that your model car does not have a (red wire) switchable power source. It only comes with a (yellow) constant power source, which is mainly for memory, otherwise your station presets, and clock would reset every time the power is shut off.

Now!

If in fact this is true, then your factory HU would have been wired direct, and the deck would be able to turn on even without the key in the ignition, let alone turned to the on position.

Is this true? Did your factory HU turn on without the ignition?

If so, then your local car audio stores advice is right so far.

If not, then we need to find your switchable power source.

This may sound as a half-a$$ed / jimmy rig solution, but way back in the day, I used to run a wire from my aftermarket HU to my fusebox and install a jumperwire (wire with a hook on the end of it) to the radio fuse. This would be my switchable power source. That way I wouldn't drain my battery runnin my HU, and be somewhat legit.

I highly doubt that your car is not equiped with a radio fuse. HU's have to have their own power source, so that you will not get interference in your system.

I am almost positive that your car does have a (red) switchable separate power source for your HU. It may be color coded differently, or it may have a separate connector/plug.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us