JL 500/1 vs RF T5002 vs RF P6002

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Going to be powering 4 SVC 8" 4 ohm Polk/Momo subs(yeah, I know but, find a good 8" sq sub) in a sealed enclosure. Will run as 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono. What would be best and why? Any experience with these?

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Why is it some questions go unanswered??????

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 221
Because that's a question not deserving an answer, the JL will eat those amps alive.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 802
I'm still unimpressed with JL :P.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 229
Hey Jake, what do you think would pound the hell out of which, Eclipse Ti, Kicker L7. I'm betting a lot of money (that I don't have) you're going to say the Ti. Did you also say that you gave each of your 750W RMS Ti's 2000W RMS, without issue?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4764
I'd take the JL any day of the week and twice on sunday. Build quality, reliability, high power output, lots of headroom, multiple possibilities for sub combos.

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input Jonathan. It's hard to judge which is better w/o having experience with either. You can read specs until you are blue in the face but they don't reflet how an amp will behave in an "in-car" environment. I have tried powering the above combo with a Polk/Momo C300.2 which claims to be 2-ohm stable in stereo. It is not. I have been doing this for quite some time, but everything I was used to has changed. I would buy quality gear that would last so long that by the time I needed something new the brands were not the same. I had used SoundStream & PPI in the past but, the old grey mare ain't what she used to be!

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the input Jonathan. It's hard to judge which is better w/o having experience with either. You can read specs until you are blue in the face but they don't reflect how an amp will behave in an "in-car" environment. I have tried powering the above combo with a Polk/Momo C300.2 which claims to be 2-ohm stable in stereo. It is not. I have been doing this for quite some time, but everything I was used to has changed. I would buy quality gear that would last so long that by the time I needed something new the brands were not the same. I had used SoundStream & PPI in the past but, the old grey mare ain't what she used to be!

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 639
well the rf power is obviously better than the rockford punch..the punch is a budget amp...the jl is better than the rockford as it offers more flexibility...rockford is still good quality though and offers more for your money.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 803
I'm not saying JL is crap. Of course it's better than RF. But for the money, there's better. An install that I "helped" with, we had the JL W7 in it's "ideal" enclosure. We didn't like the sound, so we put the Eclipse in it's "ideal" enclosure, and got a 6db increase in SPL, and a lot better sound. Just my experience though...

No, I've NEVER given an Ti 2,000 wrms. I doubt it'd handle that. But it WILL take 1,500 watt burts. I have the Eclipse DA7232 pushing 4,000 watt MAX, not sure what it does RMS, don't really care, it's made for those subs.

And about the L7's. Never really heard a good setup. All I know is mine is loud enough that I can't turn it up all the way...

Just my .02.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 120
I almost got 2 slashes until a nieghbor let me hear his
to be honest The w7 slash combo just didnt get low for me to scramble all over ebay for it. The rockford got lower and I liked it but I got avalanch wich goes even lower
I just think its truely what your after.my brother now has a power setup, his nieghbor has the jl setup the jl products just aint that much better, I hope most of the folks that take slash 1st actually heard the power rf
true the jl has a bit more clarity
but the rockford sounds good too and gets lower
but you will be sorry if you buy punch
the p3 are the worse subs i ever heard besides my pioneers

if you talking highs theres no contest
that 300/1 crushed my bros OLD SCHOOL ALPINE AMP and that amp was tested at 12.0 volts

I think you really notice jl clarity on highs more then subwoofer then again it could have been the subwoofer
I 80% sure I will get 1 of those 300/1 for my other car

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
I can't determine if my problem is my subs, my amp, my expectations or all of the above. If You had to power 4 8" in a sealed box and wanted to spend less than $500 on the amp, what would you use?

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
well since you went sealed you must want sq
go JL slash

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
hey why dont you go to a Rockford dealer take a cd and do the same with the jl dealer

Need4Bass
Unregistered guest
I'd love to but, there are no JL dealers 'round these here parts...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4299
If you're saying JL W7 didn't sound as good as RF, then you either didn't design the box and ports properly or bad install.
For SQ, JL should beat RF hands down. For SPL, that's another story.
"we had the JL W7 in it's "ideal" enclosure".
Who designed the box? Did you follow JL's exact spec? What were the ports tuned to? Have you listened to W7 in HO vented box?
"The w7 slash combo just didnt get low for me to scramble ".
How low is low to you? JL amp and sub should be able to produce most, if not all the low bass notes. It however, has to be designed and installed properly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Im not gonna argue with you because I got somthings you recommended so its obvious you know more then me

"we had the JL W7 in it's "ideal" enclosure".
You created that whole line....but it should have been in its ideal enclosure no I didnt build it im guessing he got it from audio around the street they built it most likely.

Have you listened to W7 in HO vented box?
"The w7 slash combo just didnt get low for me to scramble ".

no it didnt get low enough for me. The Rockford did too i thought at 1st it did but i still went and got 2 avalnches.

had no clue what ether port was tuned to car toys did my brothers(they dont sell so they called rockford and asked for specs) and audio one did the other. The w7 BOX looked just like the ones that were just laying around on display, while the rockford BOX was built, looked sweet too

the rockford subs got lower man plain and simple
I dont know if it was the amp or the subs or the
BOX, it was
2 T1s in a 05 coupe accord fire forward
vs
1w7 in a 00 Honda Acord fire trunk
ported
and my ears said the w7 was cleaner
the rockfords were louder but were close to being as clean

the slash wooped butt in the highs dont know what coponets but it was a 300 slash in the trunk and he say it was jl around
over alpine old stuff wich impressed me

cleaner yes more power no do i like the w7 yes i havent heard much so yea its a good woofer so is the t1 i cant call neither untill i hear my avalanch, the new XXX and the Rl-P sound splinter
I saw a review stating its even lower then the XXX

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4782
Car Toys is about as bad as Circuit City anyway. I've seen installs where they used self tapping wood screws to reassemble body panels. Short answer, I'd bet it wasn't in the ideal box nor was the box well built.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us