My Amp Has Gone Crazy

Username: Bfk

Ny US

Post Number: 1
I have a EarthQuake amp not sure the model # not sure if it matter, I hooked it up about 3 weeks ago and everything work fine. I took out my amp and subs to have space to help a freind move and i went to reinstall and it dosn't work. It is an old, old EarthQuake i have 2 channels running to my subs i checked all the wires to make sure there is not a pinched wire. the side of the amp that the RCAs go into has a green light when power is on and a red light that says protection and that lites up when i turn on the amp. i took out the RCAs and the light goes off and as soon as the connetor hits the amp plug it the light turns on
Please Help Me i am susposed to sell the amp and subs next week so i can buy my new system

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4284
Okay, I'm confused as to what light you're referring to. When you say light goes off, what colour is it? When it comes back on, is it red or green?
Are you saying the amp powers on as long as the rca wire is not connected to the amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Tj80

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 42
I think he's saying it powers on, but as soon as he hooks up the RCAs it goes into protection mode.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4288
If that's the case, get another rca wire and connect it to the amp. Bypass your old one. See if that works. You can also connect a portable cd player onto the amp and test it that way.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10279
he's talking about the protection light.
his amp is fried.
just like sony amps.. you hook em all up, turn em on, and bam.. protection mode.

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
I've had a problem similar to this too. My protection light was coming on but I got around that. Only problem is there was still no sound. But for some strange reason when I changed over the RCA's to plug them into the opposite sockets the end of the RCA touched the case of the amplifier, and the sub worked for a second! And from then if I left the connector touching the amps case the sub worked fine.

Because of this I thought it was either the RCA connector on the amp or the leads themselves. As the leads are the cheaper option to replace I went for them, still the same. Works when you put it on the side of the case. I now think it can only be the RCA connector on the amp that is faulty. It cannot be the inside of the amp as it powers the sub fine when I put the RCA against the metal.

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
No ideas guys?

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10312
already told ya.. if it's not a bad ground, the amp is toast.

djgazman85
Unregistered guest
Where is the best place for a ground... because as I said above, the amp still powers the sub when I place the connector onto the amp's metal casing. But it does not work when plugged into the actual RCA connector for some reason.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10320
sanded bare chassis metal within 24" of the amp

Username: Bfk

Ny US

Post Number: 2
just to let every1 kno i talked to a freind and it turned out to be a bad ground connection. everything is back up and working
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us