Problems adjusting amp

Username: Yada

Post Number: 5
Hi. I just have my amp and woofers hooked up recently, MTX 2301 with 2 Dual 12" C4 California Woofers.

My deck doesn't have an output for sub so I just use the 2 rear speakers instead, is this a wise thing to do? what I noticed is, while the music plays, it doesn't seem to be sync very well together, to get it to properly "sound" right, I have to also crank the bass of the front speakers to match with my amp to get a better feel. Which leads to distortions on the front speakers for a certain high bass song.

But I thought that the goal mainly of the subwoofer is to take the bass out of the speakers. Is it my setup? or I have to play with settings more? My deck is an Aiwa CDC-MP3YU.

Also isn't it logical to say that if you only use 2 speakers for front and a woofer, the sound of the woofer isn't the same as the bass coming out of your speakers correct? What I hear from woofer is mostly very low boom sounds rather than a drum banging like it's suppose to on the speakers. Is it also because i'm missing my rear speakers?

Oh well i'm still really new so just seeking advices on this problem hehehe.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10213
you need a crossover or bass blockers for your door speakers to block the bass so they stop bottoming out.
you also need some sort of low pass filter for the subs/sub amp so all it produces is bass, since you have no dedicated sub preouts to do this for you.
that should help things along quite a bit.

another option is to get a better head unit with 3 pair of preouts.. that'd solve your problem in one step.
then just set the built in crossover feature properly.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10214
oh and front and rear speakers get exactly the same signal.. rear speakers aren't even needed unless you have people in the back seats a lot to be honest.
the crossover is what separates frequencies between door speakers and woofers.. and when configured correctly, the blend from one to the other should be seamless and smooth.

Post Number: 6
what exactly is the cross over? is it a separate amp that you hook into your head unit to filter out the frequency? sorry very new to this whole thing

I've been searching ebay for a decent head unit and from the features of the Pioneer Deh770MP, it seems to have all the options you listed. what do you think about this player? it runs about $200 on ebay, or should I go top of the line which is the deh-960mp? it runs about $300+ for that one. And I guess I should add the cost of them infinity 6 speakers so it would be a complete package, I'm sure stock speakers of the Tracker aren't gonna be worth it to put on with this deck.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10243
both are great ehad units.
get the one that fits your wallet and has the features you want or need.

the crossover is a part of both of those head units.. it basically just splits the frequencies between your speakers so the subs get bass, the tweeters get the highs, etc.. prevents subs from playing too high, and stops mids from bottoming out.. it'll really clean up the sound, and actually let you get louder with the same speakers since they'll be more efficient this way.

www.bcae1.com has explanations of crossovers if you care to look at the sections on active/electronic crossovers.

Post Number: 7
I think I kinda understand the crossover now. However another question hehe. The 2 ways speaker I saw has it already built in hence the name 2-ways :-) Now my question is for these speakers, a normal input line feeding into them would get split up, correct? the mid goes to the mid and the high will go to the tweeter. For these type, you do not need a specialized type of deck.

For a deck that has crossover built in, does it have just one output to the speakers? or it has many as in each line goes into different type of speaker? like one for tweeter, one for mid bass and one for woofer?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us