Problem with Alpine MRD-M605 amp...

Username: Bworcester

Post Number: 1
I have an Alpine MRD-M605 amplifier. Whenever I turn the my radio up or turn up the bass on the amp to a certain amount, the amp shuts off with an excessive current error. Could this be because I am using 2-gauge power wire? If not, does anyone know any other solutions to the problem? Thanks for the help.

Post Number: 2
Sorry about posting again, but if anyone could help it would really be appreciated. I need to know by tomorrow morning what is wrong.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 193
What subs are you using and how are they wired?

Post Number: 3
Two 10" type-r. 2 Ohm... Also I have the gain set at the lowest setting, could this be the problem?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 194
Do you mean you have the DVC 2 ohm Type-Rs?

How are they wired?

Post Number: 4
yes, at 2 ohms bridged

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 195
Brandon,

I'm a little confused now. You don't bridge subs. You bridge channels on amplifiers.

Now, do you have DVC 2 ohm subwoofers? What is the exact model number on your subs?

It's possible that you are running that amp below its stable impedance, but I'm still not sure. Give me the model number on your Type-Rs.

Post Number: 5
Yes, I have 2 Ohm subs. I am sorry for the confusion over the bridging thing. The model number is SWR-1042D, and again, they are 2 ohms subs.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 197
Brandon,

All of the specs I found show that the SWR-1042D is a DVC 4 ohm sub.

How are your subs wired? If you have all of the VCs wired in parallel, then that's your problem. That would equal a 1 ohm load on your amp and your amp isn't stable at 1 ohm.

I'm off to bed. Just post how your subs are wired, then someone else can tell you if you're dropping below the stable impedance of your amp.

Post Number: 6
so there is no way to wire the subs at 2 ohms with the jumpers?

Post Number: 7
ok so i now know that the problem is that i have the subs at 1 ohm. can someone tell me the way to wire them where i will get the most power out of my amp

Silver Member
Username: Jron

Post Number: 112
1ohm or 4 ohm is your only choice, with those subs, get an amp that is 1 ohm stable. for now, run 1 sub in parallel and hook it up to your amp, until you get another amp. 2 ohm dvc subwoofers can be ran to present a 2ohm load to your amplifier. to be truthful one sub on that amp should sound good.

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 198
You basically have the wrong amp for your subs. You'll have to wire them at 4 ohms and the output from your amp won't be nearly enough for those subs.

You need a mono amp that puts out about 1000w RMS at 1 ohm for those DVC 4 ohm subs.

If you want to keep your amp, then you need to get DVC 2 ohm subs.

Post Number: 8
or get an additional amp?

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 199
Yeah, adding another MRD-M605 would work just fine.

Make sure your subs are DVC 4 ohm, though. All of the specs I've seen on your model number show they are, but I'd hate for you to waste money because of a mistake. Just be sure.

Post Number: 9
Yeah they are... i hooked it up with 1 sub at 2 ohms and it works great. I was planning on getting another amp for the second sub eventually anyways so it works out fine. Thanks for all the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us