Bridging 4 ch amp for more front speaker power !?

Username: Swank

Post Number: 1
Just got a brand new system and I will be installing it myself this time so I can learn a little. :-) I am using a 4-ch Phoenix Gold Octane-R 8.0:4 amp (75x4 RMS @ 4ohms) to drive a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 component speakers. I am not using any rear speakers at all. The Perfect 5.1's are rated at 100W RMS 400W peak. I want some more power from my amp.

Is it possible to wire my speakers in such a way that the amp will give each speaker more power? Would I need to run two sets of speaker cable? Or is it always going to deliver the same juice no matter how it is wired? What precautions would I need to take to ensure I don't damage my speakers with too much power? (I guess the theoretical max the amp could output would be 150W RMS x 2)

Thanks in advance .. I R n3wb1e when it comes to this stuff. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1714
if the amp is 75W x 4 @ 4 Ohms, that'd be 150W x 2 @ 4 bridged. that's too much power for the 5.1s
your best bet is to move to a larger amp like the Kicker KX800.4 (100W x 4) if you really feel a need for more power.
remember, twice the power is only +3dB in olume.
it takes 10 times the power to increase +10dB, which is an audible doubling in volume.
going from 75W to 100W won't be a huge leap in power or volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us