Gain control settings

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 434
Ok, so I got the Alpine 350 amp, 2 RE12's with 100rms apeice. Unless I crank the gain up really high the subs aren't that loud. When I DO crank the subs up they are losing a little quality but get pretty loud for 100rms. My gain on the amp has these settings in clockwise order. Minimum, dash( -), dash ( -), Nom (probably nominal), 0.5v, dash ( -), maximum. I find that Kind of odd. My HU is 2.2 volts so that means I would be close to maximum. Does that sound correct? It seems like I lose some SQ when I crank it up that high. I don't quite understand :/

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 435
bump

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10142
if you have to max out the gain to get any volume, you need stronger amplifier

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 437
Ya, I am thinking that the 100rms or probably around 75rms that the Alpine is giving it isn't allowing the subwoofers to produce a heck of a lot of bass or let the motor take control. Is this assumption a possiblity? Giving them 225-250 watts apeice will correct both of those problems. Even with such little power (75-100rms), when I crank up the gains etc. should the subwoofers be reaching close to maximum excursion? Because they are moving a lot still. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10148
you just need more power. period.
turning the gain up too far is only causing the amp to clip which just ends up destroying your subs.
not a good idea.
yeah 250 per sub would be a lot better
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us