Whats a Better set-up... Glass, Isaac or Muddy

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 117
Whats a Better set-up...

Power Acoustik 880 RMS Bridged amp powering 2 PA 12" FUBR subs (700 RMS each) in a sealed box.

or

JBL GTO1201.1 Amp Powering 1 12" JBL W12GTI (700 RMS) subwoofer in a ported box.

Note: The JBL sub is a dual 6 Ohm sub, meaning it would wire to 3 Ohms....so the JBL amp would be giving out around 950 watts to the subwoofer.

JBL amp is 1114 watts at 2 ohms
787 watts at 4 ohms

WHAT WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE BETTER SPL??? BETTER SQ????

I guessing the JBL set-up would have more SPL and better SQ....Opinions????

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 182
I'm gonna say the JBL setup just because of JBL's lineage as a well rounded company, especially back in the day? Anyone else care to argue that differently versus the Power Acoustik?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
whats the SPL gain of a ported box over a sealed box, same sub same amp....?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
will one ported sub sound as loud as 2 sealed subs, running the same amp??? If not, about how much more wattage does the 1 sub need to be as loud as the 2 subs....????

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1077
rule of thumb is +3db if evrything else remains constant.

i would go with the JBL setup. it will sound better, and will get plenty loud.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1078
Power Acoustik 880 RMS Bridged amp powering 2 PA 12" FUBR subs (700 RMS each) in a sealed box.

so you will be underpowering each PA 12" by 260 watts? am i reading this right?
if i am then the JBL setup will be easier on your its amp as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Muddy...I'm almost 100% sure that porting gives you a 6dB increase and DOUBLING THE POWER gives you a 3dB...I think I still have documentation of this if you don't believe me...

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 201
No, I'm pretty sure that everyone will tell you different on this site. +3db increase from a sealed box.

Bronze Member
Username: Xxcodytxx1

Post Number: 33
Depends on the volume of the enclosure..... I think at max volume it will give you 6 for every octave dropped

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Yeah for every octave dropped you get 3 db at max volume

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
max volume on the enclosure that is..........

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4724
It is too dependant upon the subwoofer itself, cabin gain, frequency chosen, and box size to say an exact number for a ported box. 3db is considered the average gain over sealed, but is highly dependant upon the enclosure.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4725
Remember 3db is the same as doubling the amplifier power, or doubling the surface area. Since a ported box uses both the front and rear wave, it is considered a 3db increase. 6db would come from doubling the surface area AND doubling the power.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1086
it is general rule of thumb that an approximate +3db from sealed to ported

+3db doubling the power
+3db adding second sub w/same total power
+6db adding second sub w double total power.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1087
plus what jon said. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Odd...Because I have a sealed Sony speaker in my room and a ported Pioneer. The Pioneer generally hits between 5-6dB more than the Sony with the same power given from my Kenwood KR-6600...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3637
The Pioneer is more effecient, and all around much better than the Sony.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Yes i know i am very badly underpowering my Power Acoustiks....but one of them already makes a popping noise (only can be heard when my hatchback is open and you are near the rear of the car looking at the system... So it almost sounds like its hurting my sub.

How do i know what size box to get and what does frequency and tuning the box do, and where can i find out the right measurements...

If a sub needs lets say 2 cubic feet in a ported box, does the box have to be exactly 2 x 2 x 2 or can it just be 8 feet in volume, no matter what dimension the box is.... example: 1 x 2 x 4

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1088
yes, the box just needs to have total volume of the required ft3:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
so even the JBL set-up will not be as loud as 2 12" Type R's in a ported box with a JL 1000/1 amp... correct? Because thats what my friend has, and i want something louder than his.

I do think it helps a whole lot that my camaro is a hatchback and he has a 4 door Cadillac Seville and the subs are in his trunk. My subs are basically in my back seat, about 5 feet away from my ears, and his subs are at least 8-10 feet away, in his trunk.

Does anyone see any relevance in this, or am i just believing that having a hatchback makes a difference in the SPL you actually hear and feel...

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
muddy, do u think the JBL sub or the orion H2 is a better sub???

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4726
"Odd...Because I have a sealed Sony speaker in my room and a ported Pioneer. The Pioneer generally hits between 5-6dB more than the Sony with the same power given from my Kenwood KR-6600..."

That's just because Sony sucks. But ported boxes can have 5-6db more gain than sealed, it just depends on which frequency you're talking about, and the other factors I've listed above.

"Does anyone see any relevance in this, or am i just believing that having a hatchback makes a difference in the SPL you actually hear and feel..."

Hatchbacks are MUCH better for SPL than most sedans are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
thanks jonathan, i figured they had to be...

is there anyway the JBL set-up will be louder than the Type R's JL 1000/1 setup in each respective car that i listed above???

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1089
"Does anyone see any relevance in this, or am i just believing that having a hatchback makes a difference in the SPL you actually hear and feel..."

it does, generally, a hatchback will have higher SPL than subs closed up in a trunk, b/c the bass has no where to go in the trunk.

no, one sub with essentially 1000 watts will not be as loud as two subs with 1000 watts.:-)

i haven't had much experience with the H2, so i can't answer that one:-(

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4261
Mike, what are you after? SQ or SPL? If all you want is SPL, then there are some options.
RE MT subs will give you plenty of SPL and some SQ, if you design the box correctly.
If you get 2 15" MTs, it's guaranteed to be louder than your friend's type Rs.
You might also want to experiment with the sub facing up. It might sound louder in hatchbacks.

I have 1 15" MT and it is way too loud for everyday use. I might be putting it on eBay soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
is the +3dB gain really that noticable, when both systems are really loud anyway.... like if one system was 133 dB and one was 136 dB.... if some joe smoe sat in each car and listened to each system, would he most likely say they are both insanely loud and his ears hurt, or would he def. be able to tell the Alpine/JL setup was louder???

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
my subs are facing up, and tilted towards the cabin slightly, it def. bounces off the rear window.... I basically want to find something better than my current PA set-up and comparable to my friends set-up...and i'm kinda on a budget of like 600-700 for sub(s) and an amp.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1090
136 isn't insanely loud. lol
but i would be able to tell:-)

you could say, depending on your HU, that it woudl be like turning the volume up 1-3 notches( againdepending on the HU, mine would be closer to 1 i think.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
i'm after about 60/40 or 70/30 SPL/SQ set-up...

What would you say the Alpine/JL set-up is as far as SPL/SQ????

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
muddy, sorry i don't know dB's that well as far as how loud systems are... lol i was just using an example.... My friend is complaining of pretty bad distortion though becuz he still has his stock bose radio/CD player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
Would u say the RE SE is a better sub than the JBL sub i was looking at???

whats the RMS wattage on it, i went to the website and i can't understand what they are saying with the specs they give lol...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1096
"70/30 SPL/SQ set-up..."

i would personally go with an SX.

the RMS wattage on the SE is 600w, but you could feed it more with no problems.

you can feed all of RE's subs a little extra juice with no problems. i think GW once said that they test their subs Free Air For 8 Hours to get those RMS Ratings.:-O

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4728
You would be able to tell the difference between 133 and 136db pretty easily. 1db is considered the smallest amount of change that a human can detect, 3db is a noticeable change, like when you turn the TV up just a little louder to hear it better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
How much is a RE SX 12"

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1109
$249

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
shipped? or you have to pay for shipping too...? whats the RMS on the SX? and is that price from RE AUDIO.com

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1114
before shipping. 1000wRMS straight from RE Audio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
muddy is the XXX that much superior to an SX??? I know the XXX is 600 more RMS, but would a 15 SX be louder than a 10" XXX??? i might some dumb asking this lol.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1124
an SX will get louder than a XXX b/c it is more efficient, but it will not sound as good while getting louder.

a 15" SX would be WAY louder than a 10" XXX. refer to the above statement. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
doesn't that seem weird that the SX would get louder and it has a 600 rms less rating??? i believe what your telling me, but i just find that weird.

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1126
GW told me that. he also said that the XXX has a flat Bl curve so it maintains linearity at high excursion, but it is inefficient, so it takes a lot of watts to get it movin. or maybe jon said that. lol (going to bed talk to you 2morrow, lol i mean in about 8 hrs.:-))

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
muddy, would u say a 12" SX ported will be louder/ lower bass than a 15" SX sealed...if u read sub forum u will see i am limited by space...

I really think i'm sold with the 12" SX as of right now....

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1127
i think it would b/c you can control the excursion of the 12 better than the 15" in the sealed box by tuning the port on the 12.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us